Log in links for this page


Learn about Materialman status with the Massachusetts Department of Revenue.

A taxpayer requests Materialman status if he or she is a primarily engaged in the retail sale of:

  • Building material
  • Tools 
  • Equipment

to building contractors for the improvement of real property.  

A Materialman is authorized by law to file a mechanics lien upon real property for improvements related to the property.

To file and pay sales and use tax as a Materialman, a taxpayer must register with MassTaxConnect (which has replaced WebFile for Business).

For further information contact (617) 887-6367 and speak to a business tax representative.

Also visit section B. Election To File and Pay Sales and Use Tax as a Materialman located within TIR 06-16.

Help Us Improve Mass.gov with your feedback