Time to request an examination. Below is an explanation of examination types and components with instructions on how to enter a request in our online system.
Selection Methods/Examination Components
- Written Examination: consists of a written multiple-choice test written by Human Resource Division
- Assessment Centers (Delegated): are a series of exercises designed to test how well a candidate would perform in a job, using simulations and role players to replicate real, on-the-job situations. Candidates are evaluated on qualities such as Leadership, Decision-Making, Interpersonal Skills, and Written and Oral Communication.
- This type of examination requires the use of a delegation agreement with the Civil Service Unit.
- In-Title Experience: consists of evaluation and scoring of a candidate’s experience on the job in the exam title only
- Education & Experience: consists of evaluation and scoring of a candidate’s many education and experience factors from attainment of a degree to experience in job titles from entry-level through promotional
Types of Examinations
Open Competitive - Anyone who meets the minimum qualifications can take these exams.
Departmental Promotional - These exams are open to permanent employees of the participating department only who meet the eligibility qualifications established for the specific announced examination.
Examination Request Types
- Written Exam with Education & Experience: This is the traditional exam that is 80% written and 20% Education and Experience. Human Resource Division creates and administers the written exam.
- Weighted-Graded Exam (Written, Assessment Center, and Education & Experience): Candidates take the Human Resource created and administered written exam, then a vendor is hired by the municipality to create and administer an Assessment Center. Only candidates that pass the written take the Assessment Center.
- Sole Assessment Center with In-Title Experience: After a Delegation Agreement is signed a vendor is hired by the municipality to create and administer an Assessment Center. In-Title experience is utilized.
- Sole Assessment Center with Education & Experience: After a Delegation Agreement is signed a vendor is hired by the municipality to create and administer an Assessment Center. Education and Experience is utilized.