Rethink opioids for pain relief: does your child need them?

Consider alternatives.

Talk to your child's health care provider

Perhaps your child needs surgery, such as oral surgery, or your child has a sports-related injury. A doctor or dentist may recommend prescription pain relievers (opioids).

If that happens, be sure to talk with your child's healthcare provider about non-opioid pain relief options. There are non-opioid pain relievers, and some of them are over-the-counter. Learn more about preventing opioid misuse among student athletes. If your child does need a prescription, manage it closely and talk to them about the dangers of misusing. You can even request a partial fill of the prescription if you would prefer to keep the quantity even smaller.

Keep in mind that your child could be offered prescription pain meds from a friend who has a prescription. Let your child know it is never okay to share these meds.


Did you find the information you were looking for on this page? * required
We use your feedback to help us improve this site but we are not able to respond directly. Please do not include personal or contact information. If you need a response, please locate contact information elsewhere on this page or in the footer.
Tell us what you think