On the interior, it brings together under one roof the entire library collection which serves not only the University but the City of Salem and surrounding region.
Designer: Shepley Bulfinch Richardson & Abbott
Construction Manager: Lee Kennedy Company, Inc.
Project Type: CM at Risk
Project Cost: $73,500,000
Gross Square Feet: 124,000
Substantial Completion Date: July 2013
The Learning Commons consolidates a number of academic service departments, offering assistance in writing and academic subjects, helping students with disabilities and providing a gathering place for honor students.
The Quad – a greenspace created between the new facility and the existing Meier Hall Academic Building – has evolved into an actively utilized space for recreation, studying, and University events.
- Library includes space for books, archives, reference materials and periodicals
- Circulation and reference desk
- Instructional classrooms and group study rooms
- Staff offices
- Learning commons provides space for the writing center, honors program, Academic advising, learning skills
- Support, disability services and a testing lab.
- Internal stair with entrances at two different floors provides access between steep grades
- LEED Silver targeted
- Ground-source heat pumps (geothermal wells)
- High-performance glazing
- Low-emitting materials
- Daylight sensors and daylight harvesting to reduce power use
- Improved storm water quality control
- Reduced water use with low-water-usage plumbing fixtures