- This page will assist you in navigating through ITD's main categories of content grouped under, "Research & Technology" from the tab above.
Virtualization Improves Services for EOHHS Agencies – with Impressive Savings
Through a cross-agency effort with ITD, two agencies within the Executive Office of Health and Human Services (EOHHS) – the Department of Mental Health and Department of Public Health – each moved the backend infrastructure for their Meditech health care information systems from a physical environment to a virtual one. Meditech systems support the clinical applications that hospitals and health care providers rely on for patient care.
The virtualization of these infrastructures provides higher availability and increased flexibility on a scalable platform with better recovery functionality at a lower cost than is otherwise possible. Because of this work, together these two agencies expect to realize combined cost savings of over more than $800K in FY14.
This collaboration has genuine benefits: front-line health care providers can easily and securely access the clinical information they need to treat patients, ITD is better able to meet the agencies’ evolving technology on this front, and the Commonwealth saves money.
The IT organization at EOHHS, like every IT department at the state, continually faces increasing demands and costs across the board. Collaborative work between ITD and agencies that saves money while providing equal or better service results in tangible business benefits that make a genuine difference for the Commonwealth.
- Increased Business Value: Provide State Government services and programs more efficiently, effectively and equitably through smart technology investments and IT management
- Increased IT Productivity: Manage IT services and programs more efficiently and effectively
- Improved IT Risk Management: Ensure adequate protections, policies and procedures are in place to effectively manage IT risks and threats to the business
- Better IT Financial Management: Manage IT in a fiscally sustainable manner
Please see ITD's Strategic Plan-in-Brief