Every person has the right, and is afforded the opportunity, to apply for any category of assistance administered by the Department of Transitional Assistance. If you need emergency shelter services, Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) administers the emergency assistance program through the Division of Housing Stabilization (DHS). If you are worried about losing your current home, DHS has a number of resources that can help you. You can find DHS online or at 617-573-1370 or toll free at 877-418-3308.

How to apply for public assistance

To apply for public assistance go to the Transitional Assistance Office that covers your city or town (location lookup). There you will meet with a DTA Department Representative who will start the process. For more help applying for public assistance, call the DTA at 1-877-382-2363.

Applying for public assistance and you do not speak English

The Massachusetts Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA) is committed to overcoming language barriers that would deprive any person of equal access to or an equal opportunity for participation in DTA programs. For more information view the Your Right to Interpreter Services Brochure pdf format of c-interpreterservices.pdf
doc format of                             interpreterservices.doc                .

Applying for public assistance but I am not a U.S. citizen

Certain legal noncitizens are eligible to receive certain benefits.

Where to apply for assistance

There are Transitional Assistance offices located across the Commonwealth. To locate the office covering a city or town, call DTA at 1-877-382-2363.

Requesting a Fair Hearing

If your request for public assistance is denied or your benefits are reduced or terminated, you have the right to request a Fair Hearing. The Division of Hearings will answer any questions you may have about filing an appeal. Mail your request to: DTA-Hearings P.O. Box 4017, Taunton MA 02780-0314. You can also fax your request to DOH at 617-348-5311. If you have any questions about your rights to a Fair Hearing you can call DTA at 1-877-382-2363. If you are Deaf or hard-of-hearing, you can call MassRelay at 711 or (800) 439‐2370).

If you find a job, there are benefits that will help make the transition to self-sufficiency

There are certain benefits that you may be eligible to receive while you are transitioning to self-sufficiency, such as Child Care, MassHealth, continued SNAP benefits and other programs.

This information is provided by the Department of Transitional Assistance.