For oil or hazardous spills and contaminated sites regulated under MGL Chapter 21E:
You may be able to review these files online from our waste site and reportable release lookup.
Look-up Waste Sites and Reportable Releases
File Review Appointments
Please make an appointment if you wish to review non-confidential files from the MassDEP Northeast Regional Office. Appointments are available on Tuesday and Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. (except state holidays) by:
- Submitting your request online using the form below
- Calling 978-694-3320; or
- Mailing or faxing a file review request form to MassDEP
File Review Procedures
- All appointments must be confirmed. Appointments are only established once you receive a confirmation from the Service Center. If the Service Center does not respond to your inquiry within a reasonable time, please re-submit your request.
- Due to the volume of inquiries received by this office, appointments are typically booked for the next seven to fourteen business days. If you have an urgent and compelling need to view files in less than this time period, you must speak directly with a staff member of the Service Center.
- Seats are limited and customers are served on a first come - first served basis.
- You may request up to eight file folders during one appointment. The request should be organized and complete to ensure the correct files are provided, so please research your site(s) before requesting an appointment.
- Photo copies and faxes are available for 20 cents per 8" x 11" page. Fees vary for other size pages.
- Only checks will be accepted and should be made payable to Commonwealth of Massachusetts. There is a $15 fee for returned checks.
- Arrangements can be made to have files sent out to a copy service, which is recommended for any large documents.
- If you are unable to keep your appointed time, you must call and cancel your appointment by 12 noon the previous business day.
- All requests must include:
- Your name
- Company name
- Telephone number
- Relevant information as detailed below:
- For spills of oil and hazardous material and contaminated sites regulated under MGL Chapter 21E, please supply the:
- Street address
- Site name (if applicable)
- DEP Site/RTN # (if known)
- For all others (RCRA, Solid Waste, Right to Know, TURA, Air Quality, Wetlands, Water Supply, Water Pollution) be as specific as possible and supply the:
- File # if known
- Complete name
- Complete address (business or residence)