Facilities which meet established regulatory criteria, exceed specific operating parameters or fall within certain categories are required to file. MassDEP may also direct others to report even if they might not otherwise be required to do so.
Log in links for this page
- This page, MassDEP Source Registration & Greenhouse Gas Reporting, is offered by
- Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection
MassDEP Source Registration & Greenhouse Gas Reporting
Table of Contents
News & Updates
Forms for the 2022 reporting year are now available. We also have posted a new list of filers with deadlines. We are sending email notices to responsible officials, facility contacts, and preparers as in previous years.
NEW Controls Reporting: Emission units with a control device will need to include the percent effectiveness for the control. Units with multiple controls will need to provide the control sequences and overall efficiency and effectiveness for all controls combined. See the Tips from the Help Desk or Instructions below for details. Email the SR-GHG Help Desk (firstname.lastname@example.org) with questions or unusual configurations. If you filed for 2021, any controls data you entered will prefill in your 2022 forms.
DEADLINES: Filing deadlines for 2023 (for 2022 data) are the deadlines in the current regulations (310 CMR 7.12 and 7.71).
NEW: The GHG reporting deadlines have been revised to match the Source Registration reporting deadlines. Facilities that are subject to Source Registration will file both Source Registration and GHG reports according to their Source Registration deadline (see 310 CMR 7.71(4)). GHG filers not subject to Source Registration will report by April 15.
CORRECTIONS: If you need to file a correction for a previous year, please contact us first. Corrections need to be filed before starting a new report. Corrections also require filing a full report for all units for the year being corrected to ensure total emission values are correct.
Experiencing Delays or Difficulties with Printing?
Please see: Printing Guidance: Source Registration/Greenhouse Gas Reporting
Who Needs to File & When
Which report(s) a given facility needs to file is determined by established regulatory criteria, operating parameters, or operational categories.
Facilities required to file are those that:
|Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reporting|
Facilities required to report are those that:
In some cases, facilities are required to submit both SR and GHG reports.
See Also: Source Registration and Greenhouse Gas All Filers List
References You Will Need
Once you login to the eDEP Online Filing system, you will need to enter or confirm information about your facility, its operations and emissions, including the following specific references. Links to all of these references are available in Additional Resources below.
- Source Classification Code (SCC): Categorizes air pollution sources and associated emission factors, if available.
- North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Code: Categorizes business activity.
- Emission Factors: eDEP uses these to automatically calculate combustion unit emissions based on the SCC you enter, or you may perform your own calculations.
- Greenhouse Gas Emission Factors: Source- and fuel-specific inputs for calculating GHG emissions.
- EPA Unit Type Code: Identifies the emissions unit activity.
- EPA Material Type Code: Identifies the material or fuel processed. For fuel burning devices, this code is based on the SCC you enter.
- EPA Air Pollution Control Device Code: Identifies the control equipment used to achieve emissions reductions.
If your facility has never filed a Source Registration before, it may first need to be added to the MassDEP database. Please email email@example.com with the facility's name, physical and mailing addresses, federal taxpayer identification number, and contact information. MassDEP will reply with eDEP Online Filing system instructions.
Additional Resources for References You Will Need
How to File
Use the eDEP Online Filing system to submit your Source Registration (SR) annual or triennial report and/or Greenhouse Gas Emissions (GHG) annual report. Please note that if you are a new eDEP user, you will need to create an account first.
See Additional Resources below for:
- A Quick Start guide, which is essential reading if you are a new SR and/or GHG filer, and provides time-saving steps for all users.
- Field-by-Field Instructions on how to complete and file your SR-Only, GHG-Only, or Combined SR/GHG Report.
- Tips from the Help Desk, including answers to common questions and how to handle unusual facility types and insignificant non-reportable uses.
- What's New with the SR/GHG Forms, describing changes in the SR-Only, GHG-Only, or Combined SR/GHG reporting packages.