Facilities that meet established regulatory criteria, exceed specific operating parameters, or fall within certain categories are required to file. MassDEP may also direct others to report even if they might not otherwise be required to do so.
News & Updates
New Source Registration (SR) web forms - including those for Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions reporting - are now available.
Submit your SR-only, GHG-only, or combined SR/GHG emissions reports for 2016 by the date specified for your facility. MassDEP has mailed you details, including facility identifiers, the type of report you are required to file, and your reporting deadline. See Additional Resources below to learn more. MassDEP will notify you when annual reporting web forms for 2017 are available.
MassDEP has deferred 2016 triennial reporting to the 2017 reporting year due to delays in web forms availability.
If you encounter eDEP Online Filing bugs that prevent you from working on or submitting your 2016 SR-only, GHG-only, or SR/GHG Combined emissions report(s), MassDEP will give you an additional 30 days to file after confirming the bugs and notifying you that they have been fixed.
|Experiencing Delays or Difficulties with Printing?|
Please see the Printing Guidance: Source Registration/Greenhouse Gas Reporting.
Who Needs to File & When
Which report(s) a given facility needs to file is determined by established regulatory criteria, operating parameters, or operational categories.
Facilities required to file are those that:
|Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reporting|
Facilities required to report are those that:
In some cases, facilities are required to submit both SR and GHG reports.
A list of all facilities subject to either requirement or both, including their individual filing deadlines, can be found in Additional Resources below. MassDEP also informs facilities of their specific filing deadlines by letter.
Additional Resources for Who Needs to File & When
References You Will Need
Once you login to the eDEP Online Filing system, you will need to enter or confirm information about your facility, its operations and emissions, including the following specific references. Links to all of these references are available in Additional Resources below.
- Source Classification Code (SCC): Categorizes air pollution sources and associated emission factors, if available.
- North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Code: Categorizes business activity.
- Emission Factors: eDEP uses these to automatically calculate combustion unit emissions based on the SCC you enter, or you may perform your own calculations.
- Greenhouse Gas Emission Factors: Source- and fuel-specific inputs for calculating GHG emissions.
- EPA Unit Type Code: Identifies the emissions unit activity.
- EPA Material Type Code: Identifies the material or fuel processed. For fuel burning devices, this code is based on the SCC you enter.
- EPA Air Pollution Control Device Code: Identifies the control equipment used to achieve emissions reductions.
If your facility has never filed a Source Registration before, it may first need to be added to the MassDEP database. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the facility's name, physical and mailing addresses, federal taxpayer identification number, and contact information. MassDEP will reply with eDEP Online Filing system instructions.
Additional Resources for References You Will Need
How to File
Use the eDEP Online Filing system to submit your Source Registration (SR) annual or triennial report and/or Greenhouse Gas Emissions (GHG) annual report. Please note that if you are a new eDEP user, you will need to create an account first.
See Additional Resources below for:
- A Quick Start guide, which is essential reading if you are a new SR and/or GHG filer, and provides time-saving steps for all users.
- Field-by-Field Instructions on how to complete and file your SR-Only, GHG-Only, or Combined SR/GHG Report.
- Tips from the Help Desk, including answers to common questions and how to handle unusual facility types and insignificant non-reportable uses.
- What's New with the SR/GHG Forms, describing changes in the SR-Only, GHG-Only, or Combined SR/GHG reporting packages.