Facilities that meet established regulatory criteria, exceed specific operating parameters, or fall within certain categories are required to file. MassDEP may also direct others to report even if they might not otherwise be required to do so.
Guide MassDEP Source Registration & Greenhouse Gas Reporting
Table of Contents
News & Updates
Source Registration (SR) web forms for 2018 - including those for Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions reporting - are now available for Operating Permit facilities ONLY. These facilities have been notified individually.
Filing of 2017 reports for other annual and 3-year filers is postponed until late September. MassDEP will notify filers directly of their due dates when eDEP is ready for them to file and will post a list of facilities and their filing deadlines.
Filing for 2018 for other annual and 3-year filers is postponed until December. MassDEP will notify filers directly of their due dates when eDEP is ready for them to file and will post a list of facilities and their filing deadlines at that time
Experiencing Delays or Difficulties with Printing?
Who Needs to File & When
Which report(s) a given facility needs to file is determined by established regulatory criteria, operating parameters, or operational categories.
Facilities required to file are those that:
|Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reporting|
Facilities required to report are those that:
In some cases, facilities are required to submit both SR and GHG reports.
MassDEP will post an updated list of all subject facilities and their filing deadlines when eDEP is ready to receive their reports.
References You Will Need
Once you login to the eDEP Online Filing system, you will need to enter or confirm information about your facility, its operations and emissions, including the following specific references. Links to all of these references are available in Additional Resources below.
- Source Classification Code (SCC): Categorizes air pollution sources and associated emission factors, if available.
- North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) Code: Categorizes business activity.
- Emission Factors: eDEP uses these to automatically calculate combustion unit emissions based on the SCC you enter, or you may perform your own calculations.
- Greenhouse Gas Emission Factors: Source- and fuel-specific inputs for calculating GHG emissions.
- EPA Unit Type Code: Identifies the emissions unit activity.
- EPA Material Type Code: Identifies the material or fuel processed. For fuel burning devices, this code is based on the SCC you enter.
- EPA Air Pollution Control Device Code: Identifies the control equipment used to achieve emissions reductions.
If your facility has never filed a Source Registration before, it may first need to be added to the MassDEP database. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the facility's name, physical and mailing addresses, federal taxpayer identification number, and contact information. MassDEP will reply with eDEP Online Filing system instructions.
Additional Resources for References You Will Need
How to File
Use the eDEP Online Filing system to submit your Source Registration (SR) annual or triennial report and/or Greenhouse Gas Emissions (GHG) annual report. Please note that if you are a new eDEP user, you will need to create an account first.
See Additional Resources below for:
- A Quick Start guide, which is essential reading if you are a new SR and/or GHG filer, and provides time-saving steps for all users.
- Field-by-Field Instructions on how to complete and file your SR-Only, GHG-Only, or Combined SR/GHG Report.
- Tips from the Help Desk, including answers to common questions and how to handle unusual facility types and insignificant non-reportable uses.
- What's New with the SR/GHG Forms, describing changes in the SR-Only, GHG-Only, or Combined SR/GHG reporting packages.