Apply for a crossbow permit

If you have a permanent disability and want to hunt with a crossbow, you can apply for a permit. This is a permanent permit – you will never be able to switch back to conventional archery equipment.


The Details

What you need

You will need:

  • A hunting/sporting license.
  • A MassFishHunt profile.
  • Written certification from a physician. The physician must explain how the permanent disability affects your ability to operate a conventional bow.

How to apply

Download the Crossbow Permit application. Once completed by you and your physician, mail it to:

MassWildlife Field Headquarters
1 Rabbit Hill Rd
Westborough, MA 01581


Next steps

Checking your application

Please allow 10 days before checking the status of your application.

You will not receive a copy of the permit through the mail. You must reprint your Hunting or Sporting License in MassFishHunt. Log in and go to Inventory/Reprint License to find your licenses. Your license should read "Disability: Crossbow" if the application has been processed.

More info

The crossbow status will be valid for the lifetime of the applicant. Once you get the permit, you can never use a conventional bow and arrow to hunt in Massachusetts again.

The application is subject to a review by a medical review board. This would be at the expense of the applicant.




Did you find the information you were looking for on this page? * required
We use your feedback to help us improve this site but we are not able to respond directly. Please do not include personal or contact information. If you need a response, please locate contact information elsewhere on this page or in the footer.
Tell us what you think