Contact for Apply for a moped registration
Registry of Motor Vehicles
The Details of Apply for a moped registration
What you need for Apply for a moped registration
- If registering a new moped, provide the Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin and the bill of sale.
- If registering a used moped, provide the bill of sale.
- If registering a modified bicycle, provide a signed Bicycle Conversion to Motorized Bicycle (Moped) Affidavit of Owner.
How to apply Apply for a moped registration
To register your moped, bring the following to an RMV Service Center:
- A completed and signed Motorized Bicycle (Moped) Registration Application
- Bill of Sale, for a used motorized bicycle/moped, or the manufacturer's certificate of origin, for a new motorized bicycle/moped
- Fee of $40 for a 2-year registration
Next steps for Apply for a moped registration
Moped License Plate
When you register your moped, you will receive a license plate and expiration decal to attach to the back of your moped.
Attaching your moped license plate
Attach the license plate on to the mounted holder/bracket. Ensure that the license plate is rear facing and clearly visible and legible. No license plate should be affixed to the front of the moped.
Many mopeds come with a license plate holder; if yours
doesn’t have one, you can purchase one online or at a local automobile supply store. The license plate holder must be placed on the back (rear fender) or side mounted, also facing the rear.
All moped registrations now expire on March 31 instead of December 31 to coincide with the timing at which most customers renew their moped registration. The fee to register your moped is $40 and is valid for up to two years.