Apply for an Alcoholic Beverages Pub Brewery License (ABCC)
Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission
Open M-F 9am-5pm
What you need
To apply for for a Pub Brewery license pursuant to M.G.L. c. 138, § 19D you will need electronic copies of the documents listed below.
Required Documents for ALL new Pub Brewery licenses:
- Alcohol & Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) License
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Food Facility Registration
- Surety Bond: sometimes referred to as the excise tax bond, entity must be bound unto the Commonwealth of Massachusetts for $3,000.
- CORI Release Form for the liquor license manager.
- Proof of Citizenship for the liquor license manager. Any one of the following is acceptable: US Passport, US Passport Card, Birth Certificate, Voter Registration or Naturalization Papers.
- Floor Plan of proposed premises to be licensed.
If entity applying is a Business:
- Vote of the Corporate Board or LLC is required authorizing any transaction you are applying for.
- Articles of Organization, Partnership Agreement, Bankruptcy Documents, Estate Documents, Trust Documents or Business Certificate, are required depending on your corporate structure.
If there is any single contribution of more than $50,000 towards this transaction:
- Sources of Funding documentation is required: 3 months of bank statements, loan documents, affidavits, etc.
If leasing or renting the premises:
- Lease is required.
If Pledging license/stock/beneficial interest/inventory, the following is required:
- Pledge Agreement
- Promissory Note
- Vote of the Corporate Board or LLC approving the Pledge
|Less than 5,000 barrels||$1,000||each|
|5,000 to 60,000 barrels||$2,000||each|
|More than 60,000 barrels||$3,000||each|
How to apply
To apply for this license, please create an account on our eLicensing and ePermitting Portal.
Please review the information below:
Below is the list of supported browser versions that provide the best user experience for the online application:
Microsoft Windows Internet Explorer 10
Microsoft Windows Internet Explorer 11
Google Chrome 34
Although you may find that your current version also works, it may not support all functions.
To use the system you must first create a user name and password. User guides on this topic and other helpful information about the eLicensing and ePermitting Portal can be found here.
For technical assistance:
Please call the ePLACE Help Desk Team at (844) 733-7522 between the hours of 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM Monday-Friday, with the exception of all Commonwealth and Federal observed holidays.
Please allow 4-6 weeks for the application to be processed. If there is any information missing, a licensing staff member or investigator will reach out to you directly.
If you would like to check on the status of your application, please contact the following licensing staff member:
Phone: 617-727-3040 x 749
- The Pub Brewery License is issued by the state and not the Local Licensing Authority.
- Pub Brewers can sell to licensed Massachusetts wholesalers, but not directly to retailers.
- To serve on the premises a Pub Brewery must also hold a Section 12 On-premise license. This can be all alcohol or wine and malt.
- You can not hold both a Farmer Brewery license and a Pub Brewery license at the same time.
To generate a list of the most current Wholesalers, please use our General Search Function provided on our eLicensing and ePermitting portal.
Open M-F 9am-5pm