Apply for an Alcoholic Beverages Pub Brewery License (ABCC)

A pub brewery license authorizes a licensee to produce malt beverages and sell them at retail to consumers for consumption on the brewery premises. Pub brewers can also sell the products of other brewers.
Once an application is submitted via our eLicensing system, the typical turnaround time is 4 – 6 weeks.

Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission


Find Your ABCC Representative ABCC Staff Directory 

The Details

What you need

To apply for for a Pub Brewery license pursuant to M.G.L. c. 138, § 19D you will need electronic copies of the documents listed below.

Required Documents for ALL new Pub Brewery licenses:

In addition

    If entity applying is a Business:

  • Vote of the Corporate Board or LLC is required authorizing any transaction you are applying for.
  • Articles of Organization, Partnership Agreement, Bankruptcy Documents, Estate Documents, Trust Documents or Business Certificate, are required depending on your corporate structure.

   If there is any single contribution of more than $50,000 towards this transaction:

  • Sources of Funding documentation is required: 3 months of bank statements, loan documents, affidavits, etc.

   If leasing or renting the premises:

  • Lease is required.

   If Pledging license/stock/beneficial interest/inventory, the following is required:

  • Pledge Agreement
  • Promissory Note
  • Vote of the Corporate Board or LLC approving the Pledge


Name Fee Unit
Less than 5,000 barrels $1,000 each
5,000 to 60,000 barrels $2,000 each
More than 60,000 barrels $3,000 each

How to apply

To apply for this license, please create an account on our eLicensing and ePermitting Portal.

Please review the information below:

Technical Requirements:

Below is the list of supported browser versions that provide the best user experience for the online application:

  • Microsoft Windows Internet Explorer 10

  • Microsoft Windows Internet Explorer 11

  • Firefox 29

  • Safari 6

  • Google Chrome 34

  • Opera 21

Although you may find that your current version also works, it may not support all functions.

To use the system you must first create a user name and password. User guides on this topic and other helpful information about the eLicensing and ePermitting Portal can be found here.

For technical assistance:
Please call the ePLACE Help Desk Team at (844) 733-7522 between the hours of 7:30 AM - 5:00 PM Monday-Friday, with the exception of all Commonwealth and Federal observed holidays.

Next steps

Processing Time

Please allow 4-6 weeks for the application to be processed. If there is any information missing, a licensing staff member or investigator will reach out to you directly.

If you would like to check on the status of your application, please contact the following licensing staff member:

Ivy Maiorino
Phone: 617-727-3040 x 749

More info

  • The Pub Brewery License is issued by the state and not the Local Licensing Authority.
  • Pub Brewers can sell to licensed Massachusetts wholesalers, but not directly to retailers.
  • To serve on the premises a Pub Brewery must also hold a Section 12 On-premise license. This can be all alcohol or wine and malt.
  • You can not hold both a Farmer Brewery license and a Pub Brewery license at the same time.

To generate a list of the most current Wholesalers, please use our General Search Function provided on our eLicensing and ePermitting portal.



239 Causeway Street, 1st Floor, Boston, MA 02114
Find Your ABCC Representative ABCC Staff Directory 


Tell us what you think