Apply for home heating and energy assistance
Contact for Apply for home heating and energy assistance
The Details of Apply for home heating and energy assistance
What you need for Apply for home heating and energy assistance
Homeowners and renters, including households whose cost of heat is included in the rent, can apply in person at the agency in their area.
Eligibility is based on household size and the gross annual income of every household member, 18 years of age or older.
Household income cannot exceed 60% of estimated State Median Income
This program provides assistance through a fixed benefit amount for the cost of the primary source of heat with includes, but is not limited to:
If eligible, discounts are automatically given on:
electric bills for investor-owned electric utilities
gas bills for investor-owned gas utilities
Payments for actual usage or fuel delivery are made directly to the heating vendor for primary energy needs from November 1st to April 30th except when the cost of heating is included in the rent.
- There are a variety of factors that impact the eligibility of a household.
- Eligibility is based on household size and the gross annual income of every household member, 18 years of age or older.
- Household income cannot exceed 60% of estimated State Median Income
- FY2019 LIHEAP Income Eligibility and Benefits Level Chart
- Please contact the local fuel assistance agency for detailed information on criteria used for eligibility.
- Housing subsidies will also determine the specific benefit level.
How to apply Apply for home heating and energy assistance
- There is no application form for fuel assistance services online.
- First-time applicants must apply in person at the fuel assistance agency in their area - which can be found using our Service Provider Locator.
- Households must apply each year; applications are mailed to households after the first year.
- Households can apply from November 1st to April 30th of the program year.
- Applicants who are denied assistance have the right to appeal through the local fuel assistance agency.
- You may also take a look at the Cold Relief Brochure
Call the Cold Relief Heatline at (800) 632-8175
Or contact you local administrating agency using our Service Provider Locator