EEC Professional Qualifications Certification Unit
The Details of EEC Professional Certification
Overview for EEC Professional Certification
Optional certifications for Teacher and Lead Teacher is currently open in Northeast, Southeast, Central and Western Massachusetts regions. Further regions will be added over time. Check back frequently for updates.
Optional certification for Directors remains available across all Massachusetts regions.
Any educator hired under the hiring requirements who does not meet the certification requirements should continue to assume their current position while working towards the certification requirements.
EEC’s hiring requirements remain in place.
Eligibility & Application Process for EEC Professional Certification
Certification eligibility is based on educational degree(s), coursework and work experience. “Eligibility” means who meets and does not meet certification.
- Teacher and Lead Teacher eligibility requirements.
- Director level eligibility requirements.
- Have questions on eligibility? Check out our FAQ page.
What do I need to submit with my application?
In addition to your application, you will need to provide certain documents to verify your eligibility. This includes:
- Completed Verification of Work Experience Form signed by your program's EEC director or EEC lead teacher showing the age group you worked with
- Need help? Watch a tutorial on how to complete the form
- Your official college transcript (that shows college/university name and registrar's signature)
If your official college transcript is from a foreign country, it must be submitted with an evaluation from an agency that provides foreign credential evaluation services and translates it into English. The evaluation must be listed course by course credit.
- Copy of your degree if it’s not on your official transcript
- A copy of your license if you hold a Pre-K - 2, Pre-K - 3 license from the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE)
- Your original Child Development Associate (CDA), Montessori Certificate, or Early Intervention Specialist Certificate (Department of Public Health)
- Your original course certificates that show that your training was approved for continuing education units (CEUs)
- Professional Development Points or workshop attendance verification are not substitutes for CEUs and won’t be accepted
Need help completing the online application?
How to apply EEC Professional Certification
Apply online at https://childcare.mass.gov/optionalcertification
Need help completing the online application? Watch EEC's tutorial video
Email the completed application packet to email@example.com with the subject line “Submission of EEC Application for Certification."
Get a decision for EEC Professional Certification
If your information is not completed or you don’t qualify, you will receive a letter from EEC via email explaining why you aren’t receiving a certificate.
Drop In Sessions for EEC Professional Certification
EEC's Teacher Qualifications unit provides help via Zoom on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month:
- The 1st Tuesday session is 1:00 PM to 2:30 PM
- The 3rd Tuesday session is 6:00 PM to 7:30 PM
Educators do not need to register in advance and may attend any time they need assistance.