File a consumer complaint

Are you having a problem with a business? File a complaint with the Attorney General's Office (AGO).
Please note that it may take one month for your complaint to appear in the AGO's publicly available database.

Attorney General's Consumer Advocacy & Response Division

The Details   of File a consumer complaint

What you need   for File a consumer complaint

You should file a complaint if you are having a problem with a business and need help to resolve that problem.

The Attorney General's Office can help with most consumer issues. The most common consumer issues include:

  • Defective products;
  • Car sales and financing;
  • Auto repossession issues;
  • Debt collection;
  • Mortgage servicing and loan modification;
  • Home improvement contracts;
  • Business closures;
  • Utility bill disputes;
  • Shut off of unregulated utilities; and
  • Issues specific to immigrants, veterans, homeless, and elderly residents.

You can also file a complaint to report anti-competitive mergers, price-fixing agreements, and other illegal practices.

If you just need information or would like to better understand a consumer issue, you should review the information on our website or call our Consumer Hotline at (617) 727-8400.

If you are looking for complaint information about a particular business, you should review the Consumer Complaint Information online.

How to file   File a consumer complaint

Every complaint is important to us. By filling out this form, you give us the opportunity to assist you directly and help us identify patterns of misconduct that may affect hundreds or thousands of consumers.

File a complaint

If you have already filed a complaint about this issue, and have a question or need to provide new information, please call our Consumer Hotline at 617-727-8400. Do not file an additional complaint.

Please do not send additional documentation to the office until we contact you regarding your complaint.

After submitting your complaint, you will have the opportunity to save or to print out a copy of your complaint.

Formulario de Querella del Consumidor

Formulário de Reclamação do Consumidor


Fòm Plent Konsomatè

We must receive all complaints in writing and cannot take your complaint over the phone. 

However, our Consumer Hotline is staffed from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, to answer your questions, provide information, and give you instructions on how to file a written complaint.

You can reach us at (617) 727-8400.

You can file a complaint at any time using our online form.

You can print our complaint form, fill it out, and mail it to:

Office of the Attorney General
Consumer Advocacy & Response Division 
One Ashburton Place, 18th Floor
Boston, MA 02108

You can also call our hotline to request that a complaint form be sent to you by mail. All completed consumer complaints can be sent to the Attorney General's Office at the address above.

Please do not send more documents to the office until we contact you regarding your complaint.

Consumers may also seek assistance directly at any one of our office locations from 9am to 5pm, M-F. The service available in person is the same as our consumer hotline. Please consider calling our hotline before planning a visit to our office

More info   for File a consumer complaint

Questions can be made to the Attorney General’s Consumer Hotline at (617) 727-8400. The hotline is staffed from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Contact   for File a consumer complaint

Help Us Improve  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.