File a workplace complaint

If you think that an employer did not follow workplace laws, you may file a complaint with the Attorney General's Office (AGO).

Attorney General's Fair Labor Division

The Details   of File a workplace complaint

What you need   for File a workplace complaint

When you fill out your complaint, provide as much information as you can. You may want to have pay stubs, handbooks, or other records related to your problem with you as you fill out the complaint form. If you have these documents, please keep them available in case someone from our office asks to see them. You cannot attach documents to your complaint.  You do not need to have these documents in order to file a complaint.

How to file   File a workplace complaint

Select the best option from the "About Your Request” section of our online form:

  • Non-Payment of Wage

Choose “Non-Payment of Wage” for most complaints, including:

  • Child Labor / Youth Employment

Anyone with information about a possible violation of a child labor law may file a complaint.

  • Domestic Violence Leave

Choose this option if you are complaining about a violation of the Domestic Violence Leave Act.

  • Prevailing Wage Complaint

Choose this option if you believe that you were not paid the proper prevailing wage for work on a public project.

  • Employment Discrimination

Choose this option if your case is about discrimination at work (like paying someone of a different gender more than you for comparable work).

When you fill out your complaint, provide as much information as you can.

You can file your complaint anonymously.

More info   for File a workplace complaint

Our office will review your complaint as soon as we can. We receive many complaints, so it may take several weeks to decide whether we will investigate your claim.

Every complaint is different. Not all complaints lead to an investigation. Depending on your information and our investigation, we may:

  • send a warning to the employer
  • penalize your employer with a civil citation that may require your employer to pay unpaid wages and a penalty
  • file criminal charges against your employer
  • give you a “private right of action” letter that allows you to sue your employer for your unpaid wages and other damages
  • take some other action to resolve any violations we find

Contact   for File a workplace complaint

Help Us Improve  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.