How to opt in and contribute to Paid Family and Medical Leave as a self-employed individual
As a self-employed individual, this step-by-step page and video will show you how to opt in and make a contribution to Paid Family and Medical Leave using MassTaxConnect.
Contact for How to opt in and contribute to Paid Family and Medical Leave as a self-employed individual
The Details of How to opt in and contribute to Paid Family and Medical Leave as a self-employed individual
What you need for How to opt in and contribute to Paid Family and Medical Leave as a self-employed individual
- Your legal first and last name
- Your legal address
- Either your Social Security number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)
- Information from a previous tax return
How to file How to opt in and contribute to Paid Family and Medical Leave as a self-employed individual
- If you have a MassTaxConnect account, you will log in. If you are new to MassTaxConnect, you will choose Register a new taxpayer.
- You will use the “Create my user name” link if you have previously filed taxes in Massachusetts. If you have not, you will use the “Register an individual” link. For this example, we will use an individual who has filed Income taxes in Massachusetts and select the “Create my username”.
- This page will validate your income account by your Social Security Number and one other required field from the list. Choose the “I am an individual who has previously filed taxes in the state of Massachusetts” and then click Next.
- Enter your ID Type, ID and Select an account type that you have previously filed. A question regarding which information you will provide will be displayed. In this example, we will use the information from a previous Income tax return. Click Next when the fields have been entered.
- Next, you will create your MassTaxConnect Online Profile. Enter the full name of the person who will use the account, as well as a phone number, 4-digit PIN, and email address. Once you have completed this, click Next.
- Here is where you will enter a Username, Password, and a Secret Question and Answer for password recovery assistance. Once you have completed this, click Next.
- For security purposes, we will send an authentication code for your first login. In this example, we will choose "Only by e-mail" and then click Next.
- Verify that the login information that you previously entered is correct. If so, click Submit.
- You will receive a confirmation for your MassTaxConnect account via the device you selected earlier. Return to the Home screen and use your new Username and Password to log in.
- You will receive a Confirmation Identification screen to receive your authentication code for the first login. In this example we requested email only authentication, click the link to “Send Authentication Email”.
- Enter the received authentication code and choose Yes under "Trust This Browser" if you’re not using a public computer.
- Select the “Add an account type/new location/new license” link under the "I Want To" section to begin registration for a PFML account.
- Click the box next to "Paid Family and Medical Leave" and click Next.
- Add your business Legal Address and click the "Verify Address" box. When the address has been verified, click Next.
- Enter the date your account should start in the “Enter the date of your first payroll”. If you use a DBA name and/or have a separate address for mailing, enter that information. Depending on your reply to questions, additional questions may be populated. In this example, we will be self-employed. Click Next when finished.
- If there is any information you would like to attach to the account request, you can do so here. It is not required to submit this request. Click submit when you are ready to process your request.
You have now completed registering for a Paid Family and Medical Leave account.
More info for How to opt in and contribute to Paid Family and Medical Leave as a self-employed individual
Learn more with: