Contact for Register for the Small Business Purchasing Program (SBPP)
OSD's Supplier Diversity Program
The Details of Register for the Small Business Purchasing Program (SBPP)
What you need for Register for the Small Business Purchasing Program (SBPP)
COMMBUYS, the State’s online procurement platform, links public purchasers in search of goods and services with businesses who are able to provide them. During the COMMBUYS registration process, companies have the opportunity to identify as a small business by meeting certain qualifying criteria. COMMBUYS validates SBPP eligibility information entered by companies through an interface with the Massachusetts Department of Revenue (DOR). Eligibility is reviewed periodically, at which time, SBPP members receive an automated email from COMMBUYS asking them to update their SBPP eligibility information in their COMMBUYS vendor profiles.
Does my firm qualify?
To become a member of the SBPP, a company must:
- Have its principal place of business in Massachusetts;
- Have been in business for at least one year; and
- Currently employ a combined total of 50 or fewer full-time equivalent employees in all locations;
- Have gross revenues, as reported on the appropriate Massachusetts Department of Revenue tax form, of $15 million or less, based on a three-year average.
Additionally, for-profit companies must:
- Be organized under Massachusetts state laws or be properly registered to do business in Massachusetts if located out of state; and
- Be independently owned and operated.
Non-profit firms must:
- Be registered as a nonprofit or charitable organization with the Massachusetts Attorney General’s Office and be up to date with all filings required by that office; and
- Be tax-exempt under Section 501(c) of the Internal Revenue Code, i.e. organized and operated exclusively for exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c) and none of its earnings may go to any private shareholder or individual person.
How to register Register for the Small Business Purchasing Program (SBPP)
Locate COMMBUYS vendor registration resources to navigate the COMMBUYS registration process.
More info about Register for the Small Business Purchasing Program (SBPP)
What happens if I try to register and it does not go through?
Companies that receive emails stating they do not qualify for the SBPP or that their eligibility could not be established may request a review by OSD. To request a review, fill out the SBPP Attestation Form and mail it to the SDO at One Ashburton Place, Room 1017, Boston, MA 02108.
Requests for SBPP eligibility review must be made within 25 business days of receiving notice that your firm does not qualify. Vendors whose SBPP status review does not result in program eligibility will be able to apply again one year from the date of receiving final notice that their firm did not qualify for the program.