Report your black bear harvest
Contact for Report your black bear harvest
The Details of Report your black bear harvest
What you need for Report your black bear harvest
Upon harvesting a black bear, you must immediately fill out and attach the paper tag from your permit the carcass. Your game must remain intact (other than field dressing), with the harvest tag attached, until it is reported and prepared for food or taxidermy purposes. Until you have reported the bear, some portion of the carcass must be visible while transporting it.
FALL 2020: Hunters are strongly encouraged to use MassFishHunt to report harvested bears online using a computer or smartphone. Due to COVID-19 public health measures, no check stations will operate during the fall 2020 black bear season, including all MassWildlife locations. Click here for online harvest reporting instructions.
If you experience difficulties reporting your harvest online, call your nearest MassWildlife District Office or the MassWildlife Field Headquarters (FHQ). Staff will be available to help hunters report their harvest over the phone. When reporting a harvest over the phone, hunters should be prepared to provide the following information: name and customer ID; date of harvest, town, county and Wildlife Management Zone of harvest; the sex and weight of the bear; the method of take (shotgun/archery/rifle/muzzle loader); and, if the animal had ear tags, the color and numbers from the tags.
MassWildlife Office phone numbers:
- Western District, Dalton: (413) 684-1646
- Connecticut Valley District, Belchertown: (413) 323-7632
- Central District, Boylston: (508) 835-3607
- Northeast District, Ayer: (978) 772-2145
- Southeast District, Buzzards Bay: (508) 759-3406
- Field Headquarters, Westborough: (508) 389-6300
NOTE: If you get a busy signal when calling a district office, try again in a few minutes or please call the Field Headquarters at (508) 389-6300 to leave a message. If you need to leave a message, please include your full name, customer ID number from your hunting license, and a phone number where you can be reached.
How to report Report your black bear harvest
- Go to MassFishHunt.
- Use your last name and customer ID to log in. Your customer ID can be found on your license or bear permit.
- Select Report a Harvest.
- Select Black Bear from the harvest menu, and click Add.
- You will have to answer a series of questions. You will need to examine your bear to answer some of the questions. Click the question mark icon to the right of each question for help.
- You will get a confirmation number after completion. You must write this number on the harvest tag (which should still be attached to the harvested bear), where it shall remain until the bear is processed for food or taxidermy purposes.
- You can also submit a tooth for aging to determine the age of the bear. This helps to manage the black bear population in Massachusetts. If you'd like to submit a tooth, watch this video guide and follow the instructions below.
- Remove the first premolar. This is a very small tooth, just behind the large canine tooth. It does not matter if you take the left or the right tooth. The root is the most important part. Do not break the tooth.
- Using a small sharp knife, or a sharp ¼-inch wood chisel, slide the blade down the side of the tooth and cut or separate the gum tissue where it sticks to the tooth. Using small needle-nose pliers or the pliers on your multi-tool, wiggle the tooth slightly until you can pull it out of the jawbone and the gum. The tooth is only about ½-inch (or less) in length. Be careful not to break it.
- Put the tooth in a small envelope, and mark it with your name, and mailing address, customer ID number, and confirmation number (or seal number) of your bear. Put the small envelope in a regular mailing envelope and send it to:
Black Bear Aging
MA Division of Fisheries and Wildlife
1 Rabbit Hill Road
Westborough, MA 01583
No check stations will operate during the 2020 bear hunting season.
More info for Report your black bear harvest
Once you submit your report, you can't edit any information. If you made an error, contact MassWildlife during business hours at (508) 389-6300. Business hours are from 8 A.M. - 4:30 P.M. Monday - Friday. Outside of these hours you will need to contact the Environmental Police at 1 (800) 632-8075.