More about:

Transfer your driver's license from a foreign country

Some countries have established arrangements allowing licensed residents to convert their driver's licenses. Upon becoming a Massachusetts resident, valid license holders can do this without a written or road test.

Registry of Motor Vehicles

The Details

What you need

Certain countries allow former licensed residents to convert their driver's license without testing. These countries include:



Name Fee Unit
Class D Driver's License Conversion Fee $115 each

How to transfer

Bring the completed form, required documentation, and appropriate fees to the location listed in applicable section of the foreign driver's licenses page.

You can pay by cash, check, money order, credit card, and debit card. Since payment methods vary by location, check what’s accepted at the site you will be visiting.

More info

You may drive in the United States with your valid foreign driver's license (from any country listed in Appendix A of the Driver’s Manual) for up to one year as a visitor.

To convert your driver's license, you must have a valid immigration status for at least 12 months from the date of application. If your legal immigration status is less than 12 months, a hold will be placed on your record.

Credentials marked with temporary, limited term, or driver privilege only terms cannot be converted, as there is no equivalent Massachusetts credential.

You cannot convert an international driving permit to a Massachusetts driving permit. A person operating a motor vehicle with a fraudulent driver's license is subject to arrest.

Once the RMV converts your driver's license, you will receive a temporary photo-imaging driver's license. This is valid for 30 days. You will receive a permanent driver's license in the mail.

If you are a licensed driver from a country which does not have an established arrangement with the RMV for license conversion, you cannot convert your driver's license. Upon becoming a resident of Massachusetts, you can apply for a driver’s license.  You will need to meet all identification requirements and take a learner’s permit exam and road test.




Tell us what you think