WP 63: Disposal System Construction Permit for State or Federal Facilities

State and federal facilities need approval for new septic systems or upgrades; expansions; and pumping.

WP 63 Contacts

The Details

What you need

State and federal facilities must obtain approval from MassDEP for:

  • new systems
  • upgrade of small systems (less than 10,000 gallons per day)
  • upgrade of large systems (10,000 to 15,000 gallons per day) which are not failing
  • expansion of an existing system
  • pumping prior to septic tank, with or without variances.

In all cases, time extensions for issued Disposal System Construction Permits, Discontinuance of Percolation Tests, and Certificate of Compliance for state and federal facilities are part of this application. 

Any state or federal organization required to obtain MassDEP approval of a proposed septic system must apply for this approval. However, upgrades to large systems that are failing are not included in this application. Those approvals are under WP 61d. 

How to apply

See details in Step 5, below.

Next steps

  1. Review the Instructions

  2. Complete the Application Form

    You may fill out and save the Microsoft Word form on your computer. The PDF version has to be printed out and completed by hand. 

  3. Obtain a Transmittal Form and Number

    A unique Transmittal Number is needed for each application you submit to MassDEP.

  4. Look up the Permit Application Fee

    See page 6 in the fee schedule below.

  5. Mail your Application and Fee Payment

    Submit your application fee payment and a copy of your transmittal form to:

    Department of Environmental Protection
    PO Box 4062
    Boston, MA 02211

    Submit 2 copies of your completed application to the Title 5 Permitting Program in the appropriate MassDEP Regional Office (see listing below). 



Tell us what you think