Brain Injury Resources

External resources for assistance with brain injuries

What other organizations have resources I can utilize?

Additional Resources

What advocacy organizations can assist me?

  • Disability Law Center of Massachusetts: a private, non-profit organization responsible for providing protection and advocacy for the rights of Massachusetts residents with disabilities.
  • Massachusetts Office on Disability: the primary mission of the MOD is to ensure the full and equal participation of all people with disabilities in all aspects of life by working to advance legal rights, maximum opportunities, supportive services, accommodations, and accessibility in a manner that fosters dignity and self-determination.
  • National Health Law Program: the National Health Law Program advocates for state and federal health care laws and policies that meet the needs of individuals with disabilities.

What financial and homecare resources are available?

  • Department of Transitional Assistance: the Massachusetts Department of Transitional Assistance (DTA) is a state agency which administers all state-funded emergency programs such as food stamps (SNAP, fuel and cash assistance).
  • Mass Options: a resource that connects older adults and individuals with disability to the resources they need to live independently.
  • Massachusetts Association for Community Action Agencies: this organization provides emergency assistance to people in crisis; addresses the causes of poverty through programs that fight unemployment, inadequate housing, poor nutrition, and lack of educational opportunity; and provide training in advocacy skills.
  • Independent Living Centers in Massachusetts: Independent Living Centers are typically non-residential, private, non-profit, consumer-controlled, community-based organizations providing services and advocacy by and for persons with all types of disabilities. Their goal is to assist individuals with disabilities to achieve their maximum potential within their families and communities.

Is there healthcare to assist with brain injuries?

Medicare is a federal health insurance program for retirees aged 65 or older and certain disabled people. Medicare Part A covers inpatient hospital care, some skilled nursing facility care, and hospice care. While Medicare Part B covers physician care, diagnostic X-rays and lab tests, and durable medical equipment. Medicare Part D is a federal prescription drug program. 

  • Medicare Rights Center: the Medicare Rights Center is a national, nonprofit consumer service organization that works to ensure access to affordable health care for older adults and people with disabilities through counseling and advocacy, educational programs and public policy initiatives.

Medicaid is a joint federal and state program that gives health coverage to individuals, families, and children with limited income and resources.

  • Medicaid / MassHealth: in Massachusetts, Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) are combined into one program called MassHealth. MassHealth members may be able to get doctors’ visits, prescription drugs, hospital stays, and many other important services at little or no cost.

Are there resources for Veterans?

Homes for Our Troops (HFOT) Homes for Our Troops (HFOT) is a privately funded 501(c) (3) nonprofit organization that builds mortgage-free, specially adapted homes nationwide for severely injured Veterans Post – 9/11, to enable them to rebuild their lives. Most of these Veterans have sustained injuries including multiple limb amputations, partial or full paralysis, and/or severe traumatic brain injury (TBI). These homes restore some of the freedom and independence our Veterans sacrificed while defending our country, and enable them to focus on their family, recovery, and rebuilding their lives. Since its inception in 2004, nearly 90 cents of every dollar has gone directly to our program services for Veterans.

For more information visit or call 508-823-3300.

Obtain information by calling (617) 204-3852 or toll-free (in Massachusetts only) 1-800-223-2559. TTY: (617) 204-3817.

Help Us Improve with your feedback