This page, Changing ownership of an Assisted Living Residence, is offered by

Changing ownership of an Assisted Living Residence

Learn more about applying for a change of ownership of an Assisted Living Residence (ALR).

Table of Contents


If you intend to acquire at least 25% interest in an existing ALR, you must submit an Application for Certification to the Executive Office of Elder Affairs (EOEA) at least 30 days prior to the transfer of ownership interest.1

  • The application must include a statement on a form developed by EOEA that is signed and notarized by the parties regarding the anticipated transfer of ownership of the Residence. 
  • In order for this to happen, the new Applicant must submit a signed and notarized statement that the transfer of ownership has been completed within 5 days of the completed transfer. 
  • The previous sponsor must return their Assisted Living Certificate to EOEA within 5 days after the completed transfer. 

If EOEA receives these documents at least 30 days before the change of ownership, the new Applicant is considered temporarily certified from and after the change of ownership date, and until EOEA approves or denies the Applicant's application for Certification. The current Certification will remain valid until the completion of the new Certification. 

Please refer to the Assisted Living Regulations  for further details.



Main Number (617) 727-7750
Toll Free Number (800) 243-4636
Toll Free Elder Abuse Hotline (800) 922-2275

Elder Abuse Hotline is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Toll Free Connect to local elder service agency (800) 243-4636


Fax Number (617) 727-9368


Executive Office of Elder Affairs
One Ashburton Place
5 floor
Boston, MA 02108