Log in links for this page

Contacting the Court (DIA)

If, how and when you should contact the DIA judges or their assistants

Ex-parte communications

No party or representative of a party involved in a proceeding before an administrative judge or Reviewing Board shall submit to the administrative judge or Reviewing Board any information, evidence, argument, or advice whether written or oral, regarding any matter at issue in such proceeding unless such submission is part of the record or made in the presence of all parties. When a party to a proceeding submits a letter or any writing to an administrative judge or Reviewing Board, a copy shall be served by mail or in hand on counsel for each party or directly on each party if not represented

What does that mean?

If you have an attorney, all questions about your case must be directed to and answered by your attorney. This is true for all parties involved in a case. No DIA employee will transfer your call or give a message to a judge.

What if I don't have an attorney?

If you have not hired an attorney to represent you, the rule still applies. You may not contact a judge directly or indirectly. Any questions you may have, or evidence, information, advice or arguments you would like to submit relating to your case must be done in the presence of all parties in your case (meaning that you must send a copy of all correspondence to the opposing party).

If you wish to be represented by an attorney, please contact your local Bar Association office and they would be happy to assist you.

What About Contacting a Judge's Assistant?

For procedural assistance and scheduling, it is acceptable to contact an administrative assistant. No DIA employee will, however allow any party in a case to speak to a judge. Please do not ask.

What if I need some paperwork from my case?

You can request a copy of your file or parts of you file by completing a request to the Keeper of Records form.

If you need a certified copy, you will need to include in your request a check for $10 to be made out to The Commonwealth of Massachusetts. If copying costs exceed $10 you will receive a bill for the balance. You must pay the balance before the documents will be sent to you.

Help Us Improve Mass.gov  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.