Who is Eligible?
To be eligible for FEMA's funeral assistance benefit, you must meet these conditions:
- The death must have occurred in the United States, including the U.S. territories, and the District of Columbia.
- The death certificate must indicate the death was attributed to COVID-19.
- The applicant must be a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien who incurred funeral expenses after January 20, 2020.
- There is no requirement for the deceased person to have been a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien.
- The program is open to all who qualify, regardless of their income.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted beginning on April 12, 2021. At this time there is no deadline to apply for COVID-19 Funeral Assistance.
Call FEMA's Toll-Free COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Line
1-844-684-6333 | TTY: 1-800-462-7585
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday
9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Eastern Time
If you had COVID-19 funeral expenses, you should keep and gather documentation. Types of information should include:
- An official death certificate that attributes the death directly or indirectly to COVID-19 and shows that the death occurred in the United States, including the U.S. territories, and the District of Columbia.
- Funeral expenses documents (receipts, funeral home contract, etc.) that include the applicant’s name, the deceased person’s name, the amount of funeral expenses, and the dates the funeral expenses happened.
- Proof of funds received from other sources specifically for use toward funeral costs. FEMA is not able to duplicate benefits received from burial or funeral insurance, financial assistance received from voluntary agencies, government agencies, or other sources.
Death Certificate Information
Certified copies of death certificates for an individual who died in Massachusetts can be obtained from:
- City and town clerks of the municipality where the decedent died or lived (if in Mass.), or
- The Massachusetts Department of Public Health's Registry of Vital Records and Statistics (RVRS): https://www.mass.gov/ordering-a-birth-marriage-or-death-certificate
For more information, email Vital.Recordsrequest@mass.gov or contact the city/town clerk's office where the death occurred or where the decedent resided.
Fees for certified copies of death records vary, depending on where they are obtained, and may be eligible for reimbursement under this FEMA Funeral Assistance Program.
Death certificate amendments (corrections)
For information on Amending a Massachusetts Death Certificate, see: COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Applicants. For additional information about amending a death certificate, please contact RVRS at: firstname.lastname@example.org or the city/town clerk's office where the death occurred. Fees for amendments vary depending on where they are performed.