• This page, Dental License and Anesthesia Permit Renewal Frequently Asked Questions, is   offered by
  • Department of Public Health

Dental License and Anesthesia Permit Renewal Frequently Asked Questions

Common questions about renewal of dental licenses and permits from Board of Registration in Dentistry


Are individual anesthesia permits and facility permits renewed at the same time as the license?

Yes, dental Licenses, facility permits and anesthesia/sedation permits are all renewed at the same time, by March 31st of the even numbered years.

What should I do if I do not wish to renew at this time?

If you do not wish to renew at the present time, do nothing but note your license and permits will expire on March 31st. After the renewal cycle ends, your license and/or permits will be listed as “expired” on the Board’s website.

If I let my license expire, what is required to reinstate it if I decide I want to practice in Massachusetts again?

To reactivate an expired license, at a minimum, you will be required to complete a reactivation application, pay back renewal fees (including a one-time only $57 late fee), retake the Board’s ethics and jurisprudence exam, provide proof of continuing education for previous renewal cycle(s), submit official licensure verification from any and all states where you have/had a license, and submit an updated work history, curriculum vitae, or resume. Depending on the circumstances of the expiration, there may be other requirements to reactivate your expired license.

I’ve changed my address since the last renewal. Could you send one to my new address?

You are obligated to notify the Board of any change in your address or name within 30 days of the change. You may change your address using the link under Online Services on the Board’s website, or by notifying the Board in writing. Name changes must be in writing and must include proof of the legal reason for the name change, e.g. a copy of your marriage certificate or divorce decree. Name and address changes cannot be taken by the Board staff over the phone.

How many continuing education credits do I need to renew my license?

You must complete 40 CEUs during each two-year licensure cycle.

I was just licensed recently. Do I still need to have 40 CEUs to renew my license?

No, you are not required to have 40 CEUs during your first licensure cycle.

I thought my dental license was valid for two years. I was just licensed recently (October, November or December 2017, for example). Do I need to renew it by March 31, 2018?

Yes. Any dentist who was initially licensed before January 1, 2018, will need to renew his/her license. Dental licenses issued after January 1, 2018 will be valid until March 31, 2020.

Do I need to fill out the disciplinary action questionnaire even if there have been no complaints against me?

Yes, all dentists must complete the questionnaire to renew their licenses.

I’ve misplaced my dental license and/or anesthesia permit and/or facility permit. Could you send me out another?

You may request a duplicate license online through the Online Services section of the Board’s website. To request a duplicate permit, contact the Board office.

What address do I send the application(s) to?

All correspondence, including licensure or permit applications, should be mailed to the Board at the DPH Bureau of Health Professions Licensure, Board of Registration in Dentistry, 250 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02108. The dental census/survey should be mailed under separate cover and addressed to the Massachusetts Board of Dentistry, 250 Washington Street, Boston, MA 02108.

Do I need to mail proof of my continuing education credits to the Board?

No. However, by signing the application form you are attesting that you have complied with all Board regulations including the required CEUs for the renewal cycle. You should maintain proof of CEUs for a minimum of four years or two licensure cycles should you be asked by the Board to provide proof of CEU compliance in the future.

What happens if I answer “yes” to one of the disciplinary questions?

You should provide supporting documentation that addresses the nature of the problem and the outcome. You may be contacted by Board staff to provide additional information for Board review.

How long does it take to get the wallet card once I’ve sent in my licensure application or renewed my license or permit online?

Allow 3-4 weeks to receive your actual license or permit in the mail. Once your licensure application or renewal is processed, your status will show “current” with an expiration date of March 31st on the Board’s website. You do not need to have your actual license or permit in hand in order to practice or administer anesthesia; you are legally permitted to practice or administer anesthesia once your license or permit is issued by the Board.

Will I get separate cards for my license and my individual anesthesia and facility permits?

Yes. You will receive separate cards for each type of license or permit that is issued to you.

Contact   for Dental License and Anesthesia Permit Renewal Frequently Asked Questions

Help Us Improve Mass.gov  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.