Log in links for this page

Do you need an attorney

When an attorney should represent you on your workers' compensation claim.

Seeking an attorney

Half of all injured worker claims are not disputed by an insurer or employer. If your claim is disputed, it is strongly advised that you seek an attorney to protect your rights and interests, because the workers' compensation law can be complicated. If you lose, the attorney can charge you only for very specific expenses. You do not necessarily need an attorney to file a claim for benefits, and you may represent yourself for any proceedings before the DIA. However, this is not recommended in most cases. 

Employees of the DIA are not allowed to make referrals to attorneys or offer legal advice. The Massachusetts Bar Association can refer you to attorneys who handle workers' compensation cases. To reach the Massachusetts Bar Association attorney referral service, call (617) 654-0400 in the Boston area or toll free at (866) 627-7577. You may also visit www.massbar.org, and click on the "Need a lawyer?" tab.

Help Us Improve Mass.gov  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.