Getting your car repaired

Auto repairs that are not related to the Lemon Laws or Used Vehicle Warranty Law are common and may be costly. It is important to find an auto repair business that is knowledgeable and follows the regulations that protect your rights as a consumer.

Are auto body or auto collision centers regulated or licensed?

Auto body and auto collision centers are obligated to follow the requirements under the law and must be licensed with the Massachusetts Division of Standards and the city or town where they are located.

Before you go to an auto body or auto collision center, check with the Division of Standards to ensure that the business is licensed. 

How can I check on an auto repair shop's license?

Auto repair shops typically handle mechanical repairs to a vehicle. These businesses are also regulated under the law and are licensed in the city or town where they are located. You should contact the city or town to check whether a business is licensed. 

What are my rights under The Attorney General’s Motor Vehicle Regulations?

Under the Attorney General’s Regulations, you are guaranteed these rights for repair work: 

  • A right to an agreed upon price 
  • A right to an itemized bill 
  • A right to same day repairs 
  • A right to a written estimate before the repair is made 
  • A right to know basic information about the repairs
  • A right to not be misled 
  • A right to have shoddy repair work repaired at no charge 
  • A right to have your old parts returned

For more information regarding your rights and what the exceptions are, please review the Office of Consumer Affairs and Business Regulation’s Massachusetts Consumer Guide: Mechanics of Auto Repair. You can also call our Consumer Advocacy & Response Division (CARD) at (617) 727-8400.

What should I do if I have a repair dispute?

First, you should try to work it out with the business. They may be unaware of the regulation and speaking with them may solve the issue quickly. If you are unable to solve the issue this way, you may want to file a consumer complaint or contact our Consumer Advocacy & Response Division (CARD) at (617) 727-8400 for assistance.

Contact   for Getting your car repaired

Help Us Improve  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.