Visit the Executive Office of Elder Affairs' Events Page for upcoming agendas and details.
The Commission usually meets the second Wednesday of every month 2:00-4:00 p.m. at the Executive Office of Elder Affairs located at One Ashburton Place 5th Floor in Boston, MA, or at various other locations around the state.
Commission meetings are open to the public.
About the commission
In July 2008, the Child Advocate bill established the Commission on the Status of Grandparents Raising Grandchildren. This legislation calls for "a permanent commission on the status of grandparents raising grandchildren which consists of 15 persons who have demonstrated a commitment to grandchildren."
Purpose and responsibilities
The Commission's primary purpose is to serve as a "resource to the commonwealth on issues affecting grandparents raising grandchildren, and relatives, other than parents, raising kin.”
Its main responsibilities include:
- Creating unity between grandparents raising grandchildren through communities and organizations in the commonwealth.
- Supporting cooperation and sharing of information
- Encouraging collaboration and joint activities.
- Serving as a liaison between government and private interest groups with regard to the unique interest and concern of grandparents raising grandchildren.
- Giving advice to executive and legislative bodies of the potential effect of proposed legislation on grandparents raising grandchildren, as the commission deems necessary and appropriate.
- Identifying issues that grandparents and all relatives who are raising children face.
To contact the Commission:
Mail: Commission on the Status of Grandparents Raising Grandchildren
c/o Colleen Pritoni, GRG Coordinator, 600 Washington Street, 6th Floor, Boston, MA 02111