Industrial Rail Access Program funding

MassDOT manages IRAP on a cyclical basis and solicits new candidate projects in the Spring of each year. IRAP projects are expected to be completed within 2 years of starting up.

IRAP projects are implemented through IRAP Grant Agreements with industry rail shippers and/or freight railroads. No more than 60% of project costs are supported with state IRAP funds; at a minimum the remaining 40% of projects costs must be provided by the railroad operator and/or industry project sponsor. The maximum IRAP grant award cannot exceed $700,000.

The Rail & Transit Administrator evaluates and recommends eligible projects for funding consideration. The MassDOT Secretary & CEO, in consultation with the Secretary of the Executive Office of Economic Development (EOED), makes IRAP awards to successful applicants.

FY 2025 Funding

MassDOT will make up to $3 million of IRAP funding available to support the FY 2025 solicitation for IRAP candidate projects. Applications are available April 24, 2024, and due May 23, 2024.

Help Us Improve  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.