MSRB offices are located in Boston and Springfield and are closed to the public, with the exception of daily drop-off hours. Telephone hours are 8 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday, except on State Holidays. Please see below for specific email addresses and telephone numbers contact information.
Members of the State Employees’ Retirement System may drop off completed retirement applications, forms, and other documents at: (1) the MSRB’s Boston office at One Winter Street, Downtown Crossing; (2) the MSRB’s Springfield office 436 Dwight Street, Room 109A.
Drop-off hours at both offices are Monday through Friday from 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM, except on state holidays. Limited in-person services are available at our Boston office.
Please feel free to contact MSRB staff by email or telephone regarding your benefits-related questions.
- (Active) Member Account Management: Active MA State Employees' Retirement System Members beneficiary change requests only and Participating Employers Transfers-in of Member Accounts: Please note: Active Members must contact their Human Resources department to update their contact information: EBR@tre.state.ma.us
(Retiree & Survivor) Benefit Account Management: Benefit Verification questions, change of address, change to direct Deposit or change of beneficiary requests for Option B only: Benefitspay@tre.state.ma.us
- SRB Main Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Communications: MSRBCommunications@tre.state.ma.us
- Disability Benefits: MSRBDisabilityBenefitsemail@example.com
- Group Classifications: GroupClassification@tre.state.ma.us
- Legal: Individuals who have legal documents to submit for review, such as proposed or draft domestic relations orders and worker’s compensation lump sum agreements, or documents related to a pending appeal before the Division of Administrative Law Appeals (DALA), may submit them to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Refunds/Rollovers & Transfers Out of Member Accounts: (Disbursements): email@example.com
- Request a Retirement Benefit Estimate: EstimateRequest@tre.state.ma.us
- Service Purchases (Buybacks): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Survivor Benefits (report a member or survivor's death): email@example.com
You can also call our office at the number below:
(MSRB phones are answered Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., except on state holidays.)
Telephone: (617) 367-7770 or (617) 367-9333 and enter an extension:
- To report the death of a Member, Survivor, or Benefit Recipient, dial ext. 851
- For Active Member Beneficiary Changes, Participating Employers Transfers In, dial 684
- For Buy Backs, dial 856
- For our Disability Unit, dial 862
- For Retirement Counselors, dial 860
- For Refunds, Rollovers & Transfers Out of Member Accounts, dial 857
- For Retirees & Survivors Receiving Benefits, dial 858
MSRB Website Resource Links:
- Report the Death of a Member, Survivor or Beneficiary: https://www.mass.gov/info-details/survivor-benefits-msrb
- Request a Pension Benefit Verification Letter: https://www.mass.gov/how-to/how-to-request-a-pension-benefit-verification-letter
- Calculate Your Estimated Pension Benefit Estimate: https://www.mass.gov/pension-estimate-calculator-msrb
- Access Your Pension Benefit Monthly Statement via PayInfo: https://payinfo.state.ma.us/payinfo/Login.asp
- Register for a SMART Retirement & Beyond Webinar (provides an overview of your pension benefit and SMART Plan benefit):https://www.mass.gov/info-details/smart-retirement-beyond-virtual-webinars-msrb
- Download the MSERS Retirement Benefit Guide (a complete overview of your pension benefit: MSERS Retirement Benefit Guide
Additionally, the SMART Plan’s Winter Street location at the Massachusetts State Retirement Board will be closed to visitors. SMART Plan advisors are still available to assist you at any time. Please click on this link to find the Advisor for your location: https://docs.empower-retirement.com/EE/Massachusetts/DOCS/Territory-Map.pdf
PLEASE BE ON ALERT FOR FRAUD:
Be aware of questionable emails related to your retirement benefits. Scammers capitalize on “hot news topics,” such as COVID-19, to trick you into clicking on their websites and emails.
- Always first check the sender’s email address to look for grammatical errors or questionable spellings;
- Emails from the State Retirement Board will ALWAYS come from staff that end with @tre.state.ma.us;
- The MSRB will NEVER ask you for personal information via email or ask you to send such information via email. Please don’t ever email your full social security number.