Log in links for this page

Protesting an employee's eligibility for unemployment benefits

Any employer for whom the employee worked during the last 8 weeks of work (prior to the filing of the claim) is considered an interested party to the claim, and has the right to protest an employee's eligibility for unemployment benefits.

Reason for separation

In order to be considered a protest to the claim, the claimant's separation must be a result of one of the following:

  • Quit
  • Discharged for rule or policy violation, or misconduct
  • Conviction
  • Suspension
  • Leave of absence
  • Reasonable assurance
  • Labor dispute
  • Still employed

Severance and separation pay

In addition, the following types of pay may impact a claimant's eligibility for unemployment benefits:

  • Separation pay, termination pay, or pay in lieu of notice
  • Vacation pay, sick pay, or holiday pay
  • Pension benefits

Help Us Improve Mass.gov  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.