- Department of Developmental Services
DDS Medicare Part D 2020 Update
Information about the 2020 Medicare Part D prescription plans is available at www.medicare.gov. Plan enrollment can also be done from this site.
Any person supported by DDS who has Medicaid (Masshealth, Commonhealth) and Medicare is considered “dually eligible” and should be enrolled in one of the 7 Low Income Subsidy (LIS) plans available in 2020 in Massachusetts. They are:
- Humana Basic RX Plan (New name for 2019 plan: Humana Preferred RX Plan)
- Wellcare Classic
- Silverscript Choice
- Envision RX Plus
- United Healthcare: AARP Medicare RX Saver Plus
- Cigna HealthsSpring RX Secure NEW*
- Wellcare Medicare RX Saver NEW*
The following 2019 LIS plan will no longer be a plan in 2020
- Aetna Medicare Rx Saver
The following 2019 LIS plan will still be a plan in 2020 but not a LIS plan
- Express Scripts Medicare – Value
There are two new LIS plans for 2020:
- Cigna HealthsSpring RX Secure
- Wellcare Medicare RX Saver
Dually eligible people who self-enrolled or were automatically enrolled in the Aetna Medicare Rx Saver or were automatically enrolled in the Express Scripts Medicare – Value LIS plan for 2019 will be moved automatically into another LIS plan for 2020. People who receive a blue letter from Medicare (CMS) will be enrolled in a new LIS plan automatically for 2020.
Dually eligible people who self-enrolled in the Express Scripts Medicare – Value LIS plan for 2019 will need to select and actively enroll in a new LIS plan for 2020. If they don’t change plans, they will be charged premiums. People who receive a tan letter from Medicare (CMS), will need to enroll themselves in a different LIS plan for 2020.
Enrollment starts Oct.15 – Dec. 7, 2019 and the plan will be effective Jan.1, 2020.
REMEMBER: Dually eligible people can change Medicare Part D plans during certain Special Election Periods (SEPs) during the year. They may enroll in a different plan one time during each of the first three quarters in a calendar year (January to March, April to June, July to September) Between October 15 and December 7, dually eligible people can choose a new plan that will be effective January 1 of the next year.
- All dually eligible people should be in a LIS plan if they want to avoid monthly premiums and have copays reduced or limited.
- Dually eligible people living in DDS funded community residences should have no copays with a LIS plan.
- If you need any help, contact Sharon Oxx at Sharon.Oxx@state.ma.us or call 617-624-7792.