News Important Notice: Required Repayment of Unemployment Insurance Benefits received by Furloughed Federal Employees who have received back pay

  • Department of Unemployment Assistance

If you are a federal employee who received unemployment insurance benefits because you were furloughed or required to work without pay during the recent partial federal government shutdown, and your federal employer has since granted you back pay for any of the weeks you received unemployment insurance benefits, your claim is now technically “overpaid” under the unemployment law. This notice explains the process for reconciling this overpayment with the Department of Unemployment Assistance (DUA).

Over the next several weeks, DUA will be issuing overpayment notices to federal employees who received unemployment insurance benefits and later received back pay for the weeks covered by those benefits. Once your federal employer notifies DUA that you have been issued back pay, we will update your account and establish the amount of your overpayment. DUA will then send you a written notice stating how much you owe as a result of the overpayment and instructions on how to make a repayment. If we have questions about your status during the shutdown, we will contact you for additional information.

Payment Information

Once DUA establishes your overpayment, you will be required to repay DUA for the full amount of the overpayment. DUA offers the following convenient methods of payment:

Paying Online
Credit card payments, and electronic payments from your checking or savings account, can be made by using your UI Online account.
1. Go to:
2. Log in to your UI Online Account
3. Click “Manage Debt”
4. Click “Make a Payment”
5. Proceed with making an electronic payment using your credit card, or checking or savings account

Paying by Mail
Payments by mail can be made by check or money order. Please write your Claimant ID on the check or money order, make it payable to the Department of Unemployment Assistance, and mail to the following address:

Department of Unemployment Assistance
P.O. Box 9699
Boston, MA 02114

Requesting a Payment Plan
If you receive a notice of overpayment and are unable to pay the full amount at that time, you may opt to repay DUA over time. You can choose repayment terms by logging in to your UI Online account.
1. Go to
2. Log in to your UI Online Account
3. Click “Manage Debt”
4. Click “Request/View Payment Plan”
5. Proceed with selecting a payment plan option

If you have not yet received your back pay from the federal government, or if you have general questions about this notice, please contact DUA at (617) 626-6800. If you need help with making a payment, or requesting a payment plan, please contact DUA at (617) 626-6300.

Department of Unemployment Assistance 

DUA oversees the unemployment insurance (UI) program, which provides temporary income assistance to eligible workers in Massachusetts. DUA also determines and collects employer contributions to the UI program.