- Massachusetts Department of Transportation
- Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles
Boston — The Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) is announcing the Registry of Motor Vehicles will hold the 2022 Low Plate Lottery drawing on Tuesday, September 13, 2022, during a virtual event which will begin at 10:00 a.m. The drawing will be livestreamed: https://livestream.com/mbta/events/10602422 (livestream.com/mbta/2022-low-plate-lottery).
This year, a record number of applications were submitted online: 21,663 applications were submitted for 196 available low number plates. Some of this year’s low plates are F7, 36, 78K, X44, 1S, and 6666.
The complete list of available plates is online at Mass.Gov/RMV.
Applicants were informed there is no fee to apply. However, should the applicant be selected as a winner, there is a fee that will be required to swap the customer’s current plate to the winning lottery plate. Winners will be notified by mail with instructions on how to obtain their new plate.
Customers are encouraged to visit the RMV’s website or follow @MassRMV on Twitter for details on the virtual low plate drawing. In addition, applicants will be sent a notification via email. The lottery results will be posted on the RMV’s website.
Lottery Rules and Eligibility Requirements
- The deadline for submitting an application was on September 2, 2022.
- Only one entry per applicant was accepted, regardless of the number of active registrations the applicant has.
- An applicant had to be a Massachusetts resident with a currently active, registered, and insured passenger vehicle.
- Companies/corporations could not apply.
- MassDOT (Registry of Motor Vehicles, Highway, Mass Transit, and Aeronautics) employees, including contract employees, and their immediate family members were not eligible. (“Immediate family member” refers to one’s parents, spouse, children, and brothers and sisters.)
- Requests for specific plate numbers will not be honored. Eligible applicants will be considered for all plates listed. Plates will be awarded in the order in which they are listed on Mass.Gov/RMV.
- An applicant’s registration and license cannot be in a non-renewal, suspended, or revoked status at the time of entry, the time of the drawing, or the time of the plate swap. As such, an applicant must not have any outstanding excise taxes, parking tickets, child support, warrants, or unpaid E-ZPass/ Fast Lane violations.
- By law, lottery winners must be announced by September 15, 2022. Lottery results will be available on the RMV website: Mass.Gov/RMV.
- All winners will be notified by the RMV in writing with instructions on how to transfer their current registration to their new lottery plate. Winners will have until December 31, 2022, to swap their plates. Unclaimed plates will be forfeited after December 31st and the 25 selected alternate winners will then be notified as to what lottery plate they won. Plates will be registered to the winning applicant only.
- All plates remain the property of the RMV even after registration.
- All information received, including names of all applicants and the list of winners, is subject to release in accordance with the Massachusetts Public Records law.
Low Number Plate Lottery rules and eligibility can also be found at 2022 Low Plate Lottery Rules and Eligibility | Mass.gov.