- Office of Technical Assistance and Technology (OTA)
Certain Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances Not Otherwise Listed (Certain PFAS NOL) are now reportable under the Toxics Use Reduction Act (TURA) (section 41.03(14)).
- Companies covered by TURA are required to track their use of these PFAS starting January 1, 2022. The first reports on this category will be due to MassDEP on July 1, 2023.
- Certain PFAS NOL are reportable as a category, so companies that are using more than one chemical that fits this category only need to report on the total amount used and pay a single per-chemical fee for this category.
- Certain PFAS NOL are reportable at the standard TURA thresholds of 25,000 pounds manufactured/processed or 10,000 pounds otherwise used.
In 2020, 172* per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) were added to the Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) list, and were also added to the TURA List effective January 1, 2021 (section 41.03(13)).
- Companies covered by TURA are required to track their use of these TRI PFAS starting January 1, 2021. The first reports on this category will be due to MassDEP on July 1, 2022.
- These TRI PFAS are reportable individually under TURA.
- The TRI PFAS are reportable under TURA at a 100 pound threshold.
*Please note that seven additional PFAS have since been added to the TRI list, bringing the total number of TRI-reportable PFAS to 179, but these seven additional PFAS are not yet reportable under TURA.
|172 TRI/TURA PFAS||Certain PFAS NOL|
|Tracked starting:||January 1, 2021||January 1, 2022|
|Report to DEP:||July 1, 2022||July 1, 2023|
|Reportable:||Individually||As a category|
(de minimis exemption applies;
see MassDEP website for details)
25,000 lbs. manufactured or processed;
The TURA Program is developing guidance to assist companies in complying with the Certain PFAS NOL listing. If you have any questions about PFAS and TURA reporting, please contact Tiffany Skogstrom.
PFAS Supplier Notification Letter Template
Companies may use this template to request information from their suppliers about PFAS reportable under the Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) and the Toxics Use Reduction Act (TURA).