- Office of the State Auditor
- Division of Local Mandates
- Bureau of Special Investigations
Media Contact for State Auditor Suzanne M. Bump Elected to Executive Committee of the National Association of State Auditors, Comptrollers and Treasurers
Mike Wessler, Communications Director
Boston — Last week, at its annual business meeting, State Auditor Suzanne M. Bump was elected to the 2018-19 Executive Committee of the National Association of State Auditors, Comptrollers and Treasurers (NASACT). Bump was selected to serve as an Auditor Representative on the committee.
“I am honored to join the leadership of NASACT. This appointment recognizes the value I have placed on improving the professionalism of my office and the office’s dedication to government accountability. I am proud of our work using technology to help government agencies develop innovative solutions to address longstanding challenges. In this position, I look forward to sharing these successes with my colleagues and learning from them to identify new opportunities to make government work better in the Commonwealth,” Bump said.
Some of the major issues the committee will address in the coming year include:
- Responding to exposure drafts and implementing new accounting and auditing standards.
- Participating in discussions by an XBRL work group to develop a taxonomy for state and local government financial reporting.
- Monitoring federal efforts to standardize reporting data (through implementation of the Digital Accountability and Transparency Act, also known as the DATA Act, and proposals such as the Grant Reporting Efficiency and Agreements Transparency Act, or GREAT Act).
- Seeking resolution to issues related to the implementation of the U.S. Office of Management and Budget’s Uniform Guidance, specifically issues related to pension costs and other post-employment benefit costs.
- Actively participating in efforts by the U.S. Government Accountability Office and other federal inspectors general to combat fraud related to the accountability of disaster relief funds and Medicaid payments.
- Responding to member needs for advocacy, training and technical resources.
Bump also represents the Commonwealth on the U.S. Government Accountability Office’s Domestic Working Group, where she advises the U.S. Comptroller General on issues related to government performance. She is also the Secretary/Treasurer of the National State Auditor’s Association and a past president of the Boston Chapter of the Association of Government Accountants (AGA).
NASACT is an organization for state officials tasked with the financial management of state governments. NASACT’s membership is comprised of officials who have been elected or appointed to the office of state auditor, comptroller or treasurer in each of the 50 states, the District of Columbia and U.S. territories.