All benefit recipients must demonstrate that they remain eligible to continue receiving benefits. Failure to properly complete and promptly return your form to the Board may result in the suspension or termination of your benefits.
Purpose and General Information
State regulations (PERAC Regulations 840 CMR 15.01) require the benefit verification no less frequently than once every two years for each member or beneficiary who receives a pension, retirement allowance, or survivor's allowance.
2018 Benefit Verification Form (BVF) Update
(A downloadable PDF form is available at the bottom of this section and page.)
- On July 2, 2018, a second 2018 Benefit Verification Form mailed to approximately 6,800 retirees. Most of those receiving a second BVF is because they did not return the first one. The deadline for them to return their completed form is July 25, 2018.
- Please mail your completed BVF Form to:
- Massachusetts State Retirement Board, PO Box 679, Wilmington, MA 01887-0679
The initial 2018 Benefit Verification Forms mailed on April 11, 2018. The deadline to return your completed form is May 25, 2018.
Please note: the Board is trying to process over 60,000 BVFs and cannot confirm receipt of an individual BVF until June. In the meantime, members whose BVFs have been received and validated may receive a postcard that acknowledges receipt. Also, those who don’t return the first BVF for whatever reason will receive a second BVF. The second BVF is expected to be mailed sometime in June.
During June, a second Benefit Verification Form will be mailed to all those who have not yet submitted a valid form to the MSRB. During the verification process, your pension payments will not be delayed or withheld.
- If you retired after December 31, 2017, you will not receive a Benefit Verification Form, and people who received their first monthly payment in 2018 but had a retirement or payment effective date prior to December 31, 2017, also will not receive a 2018 BVF.
- If there is a change to your name or date of birth, we will need additional documentation before we can update your record. Your member ID does not need to be corrected.
- If the benefit recipient has passed away, there is no need to return the form. Instead, please notify the Board of their passing and mail a copy of their Death Certificate to the Board at One Winter St, 8th FL Boston, MA 02108.
- It is acceptable to return the form after the deadline date of May 25, 2018, without harm to a member's benefit payment.
Additional Resources for
Retirees Collecting More Than One Pension
If you're collecting a second pension from another retirement board, for example a retiree with the State Board of Retirement is also a survivor of a retiree with the Boston Retirement Board, they must complete one BVF for each Board. The two BVFs received will not look the same and the return address will be for the corresponding Board.
If you are a retiree AND a survivor or a retiree collecting two checks from the Massachusetts State Retirement Board (MSRB), you do not need to complete two forms.
Notarizing Your Form
Most banks will notarize documents for their customers free of charge. You can also try contacting your local council on aging or city/town hall. Our Boston office also has notaries on hand that can assist you. Unfortunately, notary service is not available in our Springfield office at this time.
If a power of attorney (POA) or guardian is completing the form, the form must still be notarized.
A family member may NOT notarize your form.
Note for Disabled Retirees
If you are disabled and cannot leave your home, the Board will accept a letter from a licensed physician attesting to the fact the member is alive but incapable of completing the form In lieu of a notarized BVF. The letter should be attached to the BVF. Please see page 2, Section 4 of your form.