The health and safety of the Commonwealth’s domestic animals is the Division of Animal Health’s primary responsibility. Through inspections, licensing, awareness and education the Division helps to ensure the general welfare of companion and food-producing animals across the state.
When problematic situations develop, Animal Health staff work with the Department of Public Health, the Animal Rescue League of Boston, the MSPCA, local veterinarians, local health departments, municipal animal inspectors and animal control officers to respond. Mounting a rapid response ensures the fewest number of animals and animal owners are affected.
Programs and Services
- Homeless Animal Prevention and Care Fund
- Animal Imports and Livestock Markets
- Dairy Program
- Equine Program
- Farm Emergency Plan
- Municipal Animal Inspectors
- Pet Shop Licensing and Inspection Program
- Poultry Program
- Rabies Control Program
- Reportable Disease Program
- Shelter and Rescue Program
- Importing and Exporting Sheep and Goat
- Swine (Porcine) Program