Frequently Asked Questions about Board of Certification of Operators of Drinking Water Supply Facilities



How can I obtain an application and instructions for the Drinking Water operators examination for a Distribution and Treatment certification?

Please contact Applied Measurement Professionals (AMP) at 800-345-6559 or via their website at .

How often and where is the Drinking Water exam given?

The Massachusetts Drinking Water certification examinations are given at 3 locations: Saugus, Framingham and Holyoke. The examinations are administered by appointment only, Monday through Saturday.

Where would I obtain a cross connection certification for surveyors and testers?

Please contact Otavio Paula-Santos at DEP, tel. 617/556-1085 or Michael Maynard at 508-277-5955. This certification is regulated by the Department of Enviromental Protection (DEP) ( not the Division of Professional Licensure)

What qualifications do I need to be eligible to take the exam for Drinking Water Operators?

The exam is available to anyone who wishes to apply.

How can I obtain a copy of the Massachusetts General Laws for this Board?

Please visit the General Laws of Massachusetts web pages at

How many Drinking Water Operators classifications are there?

They have two classifications for Certification: full status and operator-in-training.

How does the Board evaluate what classification I should receive?

Upon successfully passing the exam the Board will evaluate your qualifications such as your education and work experience and determine if you are eligible for a full or in-training status certificate.

Where can I find out where courses are being held to prepare for these exams?


  • New England Water Works Association
    Attention: Paul Riendeau
    Tel. (508) 893-7979 x244

  • Massachusetts Water Works Association
    Attention Jennifer Pederson
    Tel. (978) 263-1388

  • Massachusetts Rural Water Association
    Attention: Dave Kaczenski
    Tel. (866) 451-8099

Where can I find out about specific water information in my area?

The Department of Enviromental Protection/Division of Water Supply has regional offices:

  • Water Quality Assurance Section
    One Winter Street
    Boston, MA 02108
    Tel. (617)292-5770
  • Northeast Regional Office
    205 A Lowell Street
    Wilmington, MA 01887
    Tel. 978-661-7600
  • Western Regional Office
    State House West
    436 Dwight Street, 4th floor
    Springfield, MA 01103
    Tel. (413)784-1100
  • Central Regional Office
    627 Main Street
    Worcester, MA 01608
    Tel. (508)792-7650
  • Southeast Regional Office
    20 Riverside Drive
    Lakeville, MA 02347
    Tel. 508-946-2700
  • Wall Experimental Station
    37 Shattuck Street
    Lawrence MA 01843
    Tel. (508)682-5237

How do I get credit for Training Contact Hours (TCH's)?

For information on Training Contact Hours (TCH's), please review the Board's Policy for Renewal Training Courses pdf format of Policy for Renewal Training Courses

What is the exam process?

Please view the Exam Application Information.

Where can I get training manuals to help me prepare for these exams?

Although the Board does not endorse or recommend any particular training manuals, training manuals are available from the following:

  • Office of Water Programs,
    California State University, Sacramento,
    6000 J Street, Sacramento, CA 95819-6025,
    Tel: (916) 278-6142,
    E-mail: or
    Fax: (916) 278-5959.
    Operator training manuals and videos include: Water Treatment Plant Operation (2 Volumes), Small System Operation and Maintenance, and Water Distribution System Operation and Maintenance.
  • National Environmental Service Center,
    Tel: (800) 624-8301 or (304) 293-4191,
    Operator Basics Training Series, National Version 2005 Small Public Water System Courses: Ground Water, Surface Water & Wastewater Lagoon Systems (Product #DWCDTR18).
  • American Water Works Association Bookstore,
    Tel: (800) 926-7337
    Operator Certification Study Guide ,Fifth Edition: A Guide to Preparing for Water Treatment and Distribution Operator Certification Exams.