Frequently Asked Questions about Psychologists and MassHealth


Frequently Asked Questions about Psychologists using MassHealth

Requirement for All Licensed Psychologists to apply to MassHealth (2/16/2018)

Section 6401 of the Affordable Care Act requires that, in order for services that are ordered, referred or prescribed under MassHealth to be paid, all licensed psychologists must be enrolled with MassHealth either as fully participating or non-billing provider.

If you are not currently enrolled in MassHealth as a fully participating provider, you are nevertheless considered eligible to order or refer services for MassHealth payment, and therefore, you are required to enroll with MassHealth as non-billing provider.  

To enroll as a MassHealth nonbilling provider, print out, complete, and return this application and provider contract found here to MassHealth: 

All Massachusetts psychologists’ licenses expire on June 30, 2018.  In order to renew that license, all psychologists will be asked to attest that they have applied to MassHealth as a provider (fully participating or non-billing).  Psychologists who are unable to make this attestation will not be eligible for licensure renewal.  We encourage Psychologists to apply to enroll with MassHealth as soon as possible so that their license renewals will not be delayed.

Q: I do not treat patients in Massachusetts.  Must I still apply to as a nonbilling MassHealth provider to renew my psychologist license? 

A: Yes.  The law does not allow for any exceptions.  This applies to all practicing, non-practicing, in-state, or out of state Massachusetts licensed psychologists, if you are renewing your license.

Q: What do I need in order to apply as a nonbilling MassHealth Provider?

A: The Nonbilling Provider Application requires an NPI number.  If you do not have an NPI number, you will need to obtain one in order to complete the application. The instructions on how to obtain an NPI are at: 

All applications require the inclusion of your Social Security Number (SSN) to allow MassHealth to perform the required review of the application in accordance with federal law.

Q: I have other questions, whom should I contact?

A:  Any and all questions regarding the application process should be directed to the MassHealth Customer Service Center at 1.800.841.2900   TTY services at 1.800.497.4648

More information regarding how to enroll can be found here.

If you are already enrolled as a provider with MassHealth you have already met the requirement and need take no further action.

I worked 40 hours a week for 50 weeks, so why didn't I qualify for 2000 hours of supervised experience?

You must be able to document through your supervisor forms that you received 1 hour of supervision for every 16 hours of work.  To receive credit for 2000 hours, you would need to document a minimum of 2.5 hours of qualifying supervision per week for 50 weeks.  This supervision must be individual, or in groups no larger than 3.

How can I get a copy of the regulations which govern the licensing and practice of psychology in Massachusetts?

You can download the regulations (251 CMR) from our web-site, or you can purchase them from:

        State Bookstore

        Room 116, State House

        Boston, MA  02133

        (617) 727-2834

      Ask for Document number 251CMR.  

What will be covered in the Jurisprudence exam?

Please read the "Notice of Examination" sheet included with your application.

Does the Board have practice tests or study guides for the Jurisprudence exam?

No, the Board does not produce practice tests or study guides.

Can the same person complete a Professional/Ethical Form as well as a Supervisor Form?


When do I renew my license?

Every two years by June 30th of the even numbered year.

How m any continuing education credits (CE's) do I need to renew my license?

You must have a total of twenty (20) qualifying hours from 7/1 through 6/30 of that renewal cycle.

Do I have to submit proof of my CE's with my renewal?

No, you must maintain your own records for at least two renewal cycles.  The Board conducts random audits.  If you are audited, you will be required to provide copies of your continuing education certificates (from APA-approved sponsors) to the Board.  Licensees who fail to renew their license by the renewal date are also audited.

What kind of continuing education programs are accepted by the Board?

Only programs that are offered through APA approved sponsors.   The Board does not independently review or approve any continuing education programs. Board regulations also permit a licensee to use qualifying publications for up to 10 credits per renewal cycle.  The licensee must be first or second author on the publication.

If I teach a continuing education program, can I get credit for it?

No, teaching is not one of the accepted categories.

Are Home Study continuing education programs accepted?

Yes, provided they are offered through APA-approved sponsors.

If I am a newly licensed psychologist, do I need the full 20 continuing education hours?

No, CE requirements are prorated according to how long you have been licensed.  For example, if you were licensed for only one year of the two year renewal cycle, you would need to document only 10 continuing education credits.  Please note that credits obtained from the study course for the EPPP exam are not acceptable, as the Board accepts only continuing education credits earned after your date of initial licensure.

Does Massachusetts have licensure reciprocity with other states?

No, there is no formal reciprocity.  Massachusetts will accept a passing score on the EPPP exam.  Applicants must submit a complete Massachusetts application, documenting education and supervised experience.  If approved, you would need to take and pass the Jurisprudence examination. 

Does Massachusetts utilize reciprocity mechanisms such as the CPQ, the National Register, or ABPP?

The Board does have some degree of reciprocity for those licensed 5 or more years and listed in the National Register of Health Psychologists. The National Register must submit an official letter of Certification to the Board office.  The applicant can then omit all Supervisor Forms and the Internship Director Form.  An official EPPP score report from ASPPB is required, as well as letters of verification from any state in which the applicant has held a professional license. 

How often is the Jurisprudence examination given?

The Jurisprudence examination is offered daily.   

What is a passing score on the Jurisprudence exam?


How can I obtain an application and exam information?

Application materials can be downloaded from the Board's web-site.  There is information about the EPPP exam at the ASPPB web-site:

How often is the National Exam (EPPP) given?

It is given daily.

What is the cut off score on the EPPP exam in Massachusetts?

For the computerized version, the passing score is 500. 

If I don't pass the EPPP or the Jurisprudence examination, how quickly can I re-take each exam?

There is a mandatory 90 day waiting period between exam administrations.

How long does it take for me to become licensed after I have taken and passed both exams?

Exam scores for the EPPP are transmitted to the Board on a twice monthly basis, with the scores for the 1st through 15th of a month transmitted within one week of the end of the reporting period, and the scores for the 16th through the end of the month also transmitted within one week of the end of the reporting period. Once the Board receives the scores, the Board "releases" them, and candidates are then informed by the testing service.  These scores must be entered into the database, and then a letter is also mailed to the applicant.  It takes about 7-10 days for the applicant to receive this letter once the scores are in the system. 

      Exam scores for the Jurisprudence examination are transmitted more frequently.  Once entered into the system, a letter is generated and sent to the applicant, usually within 7-10 days.  If the applicant has obtained passing scores for both exams, the letter directs the applicant to call a toll free number to pay for the license with a credit card.  The payment date becomes the issue date for the license.  The new licensee will appear on our web-site under "check a license" within 7-10 days of payment.  The actual wallet size license takes up to 5 weeks to arrive by mail. 

Does Massachusetts require a year of post-doctoral experience?

No. By a statutory change in December 2012, the post-doctoral requirement was eliminated.  The Board requires 3200 hours of qualifying supervised experience.  At least one year of this must meet all the requirements for a "health service training program" (aka internship).  A year is defined as no less than 43 weeks/10 months.  The other 1600 hours (minimum of 43 weeks) can be met through post-internship hours and/or advanced practicum hours that meet the Board's regulatory requirements. Please carefully review 251 CMR 3.04 (7) to see the Board's requirements for Advanced Practica.

If I move to another state in the future, will I be able to get a license based on the license in Massachusetts?

Most states require a year of post-doctoral experience, and are not likely to grant reciprocity without it.  Applicants should think carefully about obtaining the supervised experience they may need in the future to become licensed in another state.

How do I apply for disability accommodations for the examinations?

At the time you submit your application, please submit a letter requesting disability accommodations and the specific accommodations you require, as well as supporting documentation from a physician or psychologist. If you have been approved for disability accommodations in college or graduate school, please include documentation of this as well.  Your documentation will be reviewed by the Board to determine if you meet ADA requirements.

If my psychology degree is from a school outside the United States, is there a different procedure for applying for licensure as a psychologist?

Yes.  There are several steps to follow prior to submitting a licensure application.

      -You must have a doctoral degree in psychology that prepares you for professional practice. The Board does not license psychologists at the Master's level, even if your home country does so.

      -You must have your degree evaluated by a credentials evaluation service accepted by the Board.  The Board recommends that you use Educational Credentials Evaluation Inc. ( You will need a course by course evaluation of your graduate coursework, as well as an equivalency determination.  Once this is completed, you will need to forward the credentials evaluation to the Board (in a signed, sealed envelope), for the Board to review.  Please also send a cover letter with your contact information.

      -The Board's policy for international applicants is 1) you must meet all coursework requirements outlined in the regulations, and these coursework requirements cannot use courses completed at the undergraduate level, 2) the Board requires that all supervised experience for licensure, including the health service training program (internship) must be completed in the US.

      -Due to the difficulty of completing additional doctoral coursework and obtaining a qualifying health service training program (internship) and supervised experience, many international candidates choose to enter a re-specialization program, to facilitate obtaining missing courses and training positions.