Spring trout stocking — Close to 500,000 brook, brown, rainbow and tiger trout will be stocked this spring from MassWildlife’s five hatcheries located in Sandwich, Palmer, Belchertown, Sunderland, and Montague. These fish, coupled with the more than 65,000 fish stocked last fall, will provide some excellent fishing in the coming months. Stocking is scheduled to begin in the southeastern part of the state during the first full week of March with other regions of the state expected to follow soon after. Anglers can get daily stocking updates at Mass.gov/Trout, or contact individual district offices for the latest stocking information.
2018 Spring trout stocking stats:
- Most of the trout will be over 12 inches
- More than 40% of the trout will be over 14 inches
- More than 51,000 brook trout will be over 12 inches
- More than 200,000 rainbow trout will be over 14 inches
- More than 1,200 brown trout will be over 18 inches
- More than 500 brook trout will be over 15 inches
- Approximately 1,000 tiger trout will be over 14 inches
Lists of trout stocked waters by district
Stocking times depend on snow, ice, flood levels, and water chemistry conditions. All listed waters are stocked in the spring. Those water bodies listed in bold are stocked in spring and fall.