Relocation Assistance+

Provides advice, assistance and approvals for the public and private entities that cause residents and/or businesses to move as the result of a publicly-funded project for the purposes of rehabilitation, demolition or other improvements.

Under Massachusetts General Law Chapter 79A, the Department of Housing and Community Development's (DHCD) Bureau of Relocation (Bureau) is responsible for administering the state’s Relocation Assistance regulations.  The Bureau offers advice in the state’s relocation requirements for displacement resulting from publicly-funded projects, including information on when it is necessary to prepare a relocation plan for Bureau review and approval.

Relocation Assistance - How it Works

A resident or business that has been displaced by a project using public funds may be eligible for relocation assistance.  

Public, non-profit or private displacing entities are charged with providing relocation services to residential and/or businesses who are displaced as the result. Displacing agencies must have adequate in-house or contracted personnel to provide the necessary relocation assistance to displaced occupants.  

The Bureau of Relocation is charged with administrative oversight of the displacing agency’s implementation of relocation through the review of the qualifications of designated relocation advisory agencies and relocation plans submitted to the Bureau.

The Bureau of Relocation is charged with

  • Technical assistance to displaced residents and/or businesses, as well as displacing agencies, to explain the requirements for relocation services and payments under M.G.L. Chapter 79A and the state regulations at 760 CMR 27.00;
  • Designation of relocation personnel, referred to as Relocation Advisory Agencies;
  • Approval of displacing agencies’ relocation plans when the occupants of more than 5 dwelling units or business units are displaced;
  • Approval of relocation claim payments in excess of $50,000; and
  • Dispute resolution over relocation payment eligibility or payment amount, including administrative hearings under M.G.L. Chapter 30A.

Some publicly-funded activities that may result in displacement and relocation of residents and/or businesses include, but are not limited to:

  • construction of state-aided public housing
  • public facility construction and expansion
  • urban renewal
  • educational facilities construction and expansion
  • transportation improvements
  • public parks and open space initiatives
  • hazard mitigation projects
  • environmental protection initiatives.

Bureau of Relocation Decisions

Index of Issues and Cases