It’s important to report the death as soon as possible to the Massachusetts State Retirement Board (MSRB). Please furnish us with the following required information:
- Copy of the decedent's Death Certificate
- The full name of the Benefit Recipient or Active Member
- Social Security Number or MSRB ID Number (if known)
- Date of Death
- A Contact's Name, Mailing Address and Phone Number
- Any questions or comments
Submit the copy of the Death Certificate and required information to the MSRB:
1. Mail it to our office: MA State Retirement Board, One Winter Street, 8th Floor Boston, MA 02108, or
2. You may also call the MSRB to report a death: (617) 367-7770 When you call, please be prepared to provide the information listed above.
Upon receipt of the Death Certificate and all relevant information, the instructions that the decedent made when they chose a retirement option will be carried out. If the decedent was still employed or were a deferred retiree, the In-Service Member Death procedure will be followed.
If you have questions, please send an email to: to: firstname.lastname@example.org
GROUP INSURANCE COMMISSION:
Please note: if you have health, dental or life insurance questions, or wish to notify them of a death, you must contact the Group Insurance Commission (GIC) direct as they administer those benefits. Their number is (617) 727-2310 ext.2
The Massachusetts State Retirement Board and the Group Insurance Commission are two separate agencies. Thank you