Trapper Education courses

You must complete Trapper Education in order to apply for a Trap Registration Certificate number.

Completion of a Trapper Education course is mandatory in Massachusetts for Problem Animal Control (PAC) agents and first-time trappers who wish to apply for a trap registration number.

Using both classroom work and field training, students receive instruction on best management practices for trapping furbearers, the proper use of traps, furbearer identification, trapping laws, ethics, and landowner relations.

Upon successful completion of a Massachusetts Trapper Education course, students will be mailed both a Trapper Education certificate and a Bailey-Hancock certificate.

All courses are FREE of charge and open to the public.

Trapper Education course listing

There are no Trapper Education courses currently open for registration.

Please sign up for course notifications and check this page again in mid-August.

Need to complete Trapper Education ASAP?

A state-issued Trapper Education certificate from any U.S. State can be used to apply for a Massachusetts Trap Registration number and apply to become a Problem Animal Control (PAC) agent.

If you cannot attend a Massachusetts Trapper Education course due to scheduling conflicts or distance, it may be helpful or worthwhile for you to see if any other states are offering a Trapper Education course which suits your needs. You can learn more about course offerings available outside of Massachusetts by following the links below (these links will take you to pages outside of - 

Note: Before signing up for a course being offered outside of Massachusetts, make sure you read all of the requirements and confirm non-residents are allowed to participate in all aspects of the course.

If you specifically wish to use Bailey-Hancock traps (this type of trap is used only for the taking of beaver), you must take a Massachusetts Trapper Education course in order to earn a Bailey-Hancock certificate. Learn more.

Additional Resources for