Veteran’s indicator on driver's license or ID card

Massachusetts residents who are veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces can choose to have the word "Veteran" printed on their driver's license or ID card when you apply for, renew or duplicate your learner's permit, driver's license, or ID card.

What to know

MA driver's license
This driver's license has a Veteran's Indicator.

If your license/ID card is not up for renewal, you can get a duplicate for no fee with the Veteran’s Indicator.  There is no added fee for the Veteran's Indicator, but you must pay your renewal fee.

You can complete this transaction in person at an RMV Service Center or at one of the select AAA locations. You must present a completed license and ID application and one of the following:

  • A DD-214 that indicates honorable discharge (only the long form (full page) is acceptable)

  • A DD-215 that indicates honorable discharge

  • An Honorable Discharge form


Additional Resources for What to know


Did you find the information you were looking for on this page? * required
We use your feedback to help us improve this site but we are not able to respond directly. Please do not include personal or contact information. If you need a response, please locate contact information elsewhere on this page or in the footer.
Tell us what you think