MassWildlife owns and manages over 200,000 acres of land. All WMAs and WCE’s are open to hunting, fishing, trapping and other outdoor recreation activities. Visit our MassWildlife Lands Viewer, featuring an interactive mapping tool which allows users to customize and print maps of MassWildlife properties.
Attention: New dog leash and waste disposal rules for WMAs are set to take effect on January 1, 2019. Learn about these new requirements.
- No person shall possess any alcoholic beverage except under permit, or dump or discard any can, bottle, or rubbish.
- No person shall remove vegetation, soil, or stones from any WMA except under permit.
- No person shall use excessive speed in driving a vehicle.
- No person, unless under permit, shall drive or possess any vehicle except on roads or trails maintained for public vehicular traffic.
- No person shall deface or tamper with any sign, building, or equipment.
- No person shall build or maintain a fire without written permission from the Director of the DFW or his designee.
- No person shall camp within any WMA without written permission from the Director or his designee.
- No person shall engage in target practice without written permission from the Director or his designee.
- No person shall use any means other than shotgun or bow and arrow during the pheasant and quail season on areas stocked with pheasant or quail except for hunting raccoons and opossums between 9pm and 3am, or except for the shooting of captured fur-bearing mammals by a licensed trapper.
- No person shall hunt before sunrise or after sunset on any WMA where pheasant or quail are stocked during the open season on pheasant or quail, except for the hunting of raccoons and opossums between 9pm and 3am.
- No person shall hunt during the pheasant or quail season on WMAs where pheasant or quail are stocked without wearing a ”hunter orange“ cap or hat except while night hunting for raccoons or opossums or while hunting waterfowl from within a blind or boat.
- No person, except under permit, shall dig or disturb any artifact or archaeological remains.
- The Director may make special regulations to handle special situations peculiar to any WMA. Controlled hunts are in effect at certain times on Martin Burns, Delaney, and Ludlow WMAs. Contact District Manager for details.
The Director may make special regulations to handle special situations peculiar to any WMA. Controlled hunts are in effect at certain times on Burns, Delaney (Northeast District) and Ludlow (Valley District) WMAs.