Social Rehabilitation (SR)

SR services are provided for MCB consumers who need assistance to become more independent.

MCB works with consumers to show them ways to navigate their environments and how to use technology to improve a consumer’s independence. Consumers receive services in their own homes, while living with others, in senior residences, assisted living, or in a nursing home. A social worker assists in selecting the services most appropriate to each consumer’s needs and arranges, coordinates, and follows through with an individual service plan..

Services may include:
Low-vision evaluations
Low-vision devices to maximize the consumer’s residual vision
Orientation and Mobility instruction
Rehabilitation Teaching to help the consumer learn new ways of doing activities of daily living;
Assistive Devices
Peer support groups for individuals who are legally blind

MCB social workers also share information about other services available through MCB, Social Security, the Council on Aging, and other community agencies.

A social worker can explain these services and make appropriate referrals. Services are provided free of charge. However, there are some purchased services available to only those consumers who are within the financial eligibility standard.

Additional Services can include:
Counseling services to adjust and cope with problems from legal blindness.
Homemaker Service to qualifying individuals who are financially eligible and have a serious illness or injury in addition to legal blindness.

The local area agency on aging is responsible to provide homemaker services to consumers 60 years of age or older. Eligibility for those individuals is based on financial resources. An agency social worker can assist in contacting elder service resources for homemakers and other services available through the elder service program. Protective Services are provided to consumers who may have suffered emotional or physical injury caused by neglect, maltreatment, or denial of their rights. Protective Services include counseling, arranging for guardianship, if necessary, and arranging medical or recreational services.

For more information, please contact the MCB regional office in your area.

Help Us Improve with your feedback