Who we serve
MCB is the point of entry for vocational and social rehabilitation services for residents of the Commonwealth who are declared to be legally blind by an eye professional. Under a newly created category, MCB will expand service to qualifying individuals who have low vision with a progressive visual impairment. These services help individuals to work toward independence and full community participation.
History of MCB
MCB was established on July 13, 1906. The organization was originally comprised of 3 men and 2 women, including Ms. Helen Keller. This group functioned as a board of directors and was established a state agency to provide services to individuals who were blind. The original agency was organized around two residential workshops for the blind, one for men, the other for women. In 1919, the then Commission was incorporated into the State Department of Education and renamed the Division of the Blind. In 1966, the agency was reestablished as the separate commission that it remains today. Currently, MCB is one of fifteen agencies in the Executive Office of Health and Human Services (EOHHS).