Child Custody and Parenting Time

Learn about the types of child custody and parenting time orders, who can file for child custody, and how to file or change child custody orders.

When parents are separating, they may disagree about issues regarding their child. When the child is under 18, one or both parents can ask the court to make decisions for them by getting a court order for child custody or parenting time. For information about custody when you're not a parent, please see Guardianship of Minors.

Filing for custody

How it works


Contact Information


A list of court locations where you can file for child custody and parenting time

Related Services

Help Us Improve  with your feedback

Please do not include personal or contact information.