- Posted: December 4, 2019 4:16 p.m.
- Last Updated: March 9, 2020 10:40 a.m.
Public Meeting Notice Restorative Justice Advisory Committee
Contact for Restorative Justice Advisory Committee
Executive Office of Public Safety and Security
Overview of Restorative Justice Advisory Committee
The Restorative Justice Advisory Committee will meet on December 10, 2019 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at 1 Ashburton Place, 21st Floor, Conference Room #1, Boston, MA 02108.
If any member of the public wishing to attend this meeting seeks special accommodations in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, please contact Anjeza Xhemollari at (617) 727-7775 ext. 25540 or email@example.com.
1. Call to Order
At 11:11 a.m., the meeting was called to order by Chairman Spencer Lord. Undersecretary Andrew Peck was out of state.
Present: Spencer Lord (Chair), Scott Taberner, Rep. Sean Garballey, Sen. James Eldridge, Becky Michaels (participated by phone), Allison S. Cartwright, John Millett, Ret. Chief Fred Ryan, Monica Dominique (designee for Sheriff Nicholas Cocchi), Kara Hayes, Carolyn Boyes-Watson, Erin Freeborn, Cheis Garrus, Susan Jeghelian
Absent: Diane Coffey, Judge Rosemary Minehan, Strong Oak Lefebvre
EOPSS Staff: Anjeza Xhemollari
Others in attendance: Brenda Nolan, Bernard Nolan, and Mary Quinn
Chairman Spencer Lord welcomed the board members and members of the public
3. Review/Approval of Meeting Minutes from November 12, 2019
The motion was made by Allison Cartwright to approve the draft meeting minutes. The motion was seconded by Scott Taberner and approved pending the edits.
4. Update from EOPSS-Chair and Review/Approval of Meeting Minutes from the Funding Subcommittee - Third Meeting Held on November 6, 2019
A motion was made by Susan Jeghelian to approve the draft meeting minutes. The motion was seconded by Scott Taberner and passed by a unanimous voice vote.
Chairman Spencer Lord, Susan Jeghelian and Senator James Eldridge updated the board members of the EOPSS internal meeting that occurred on December 4, 2019. Undersecretary Andrew Peck, Anjeza Xhemollari, and Emi Joy were also part of the internal meeting. Susan informed the members of the meeting and indicated that funding RJAC for a total of $485,000.00 would be impossible. The FY20 Supplemental Budget was scheduled to be released on December 11, 2019. EOPSS cannot support budget lines 1-3 (new FTE's). Senator Eldridge also stated that he cannot ask for new FTE's (administrative assistance). He will request some sort of appropriation, probably around $120,000.00. That funding will go towards the educational institution. He will make a strong pitch to conduct the work being done by the board members.
5. Update from EOPSS-Chair and Review/Approval of Meeting Minutes from the Reporting Subcommittee Held on November 7, 2019
A motion was made by Chief Fred Ryan to approve the draft meeting minutes and update the final report. The motion was seconded by Becky Michaels and passed by a unanimous voice vote. The update to the report was to echo the work of Carolyn Boyes-Watson and Susan Jeghelian. The same memo will be included on the January agenda for further discussion. The funding portion of the report also needed to be revised.
6. Determine Future Subcommittees
Carolyn Boyes-Watson proposed a new subcommittee to work exclusively on the new RFI (Request for Information). The members of this subcommittee are:
- Carolyn Boyes-Watson
- Susan Jeghelian
- Scott Taberner
- Cheis Garrus
- Rep. Sean Garballey
Meetings will be scheduled in 2020. There are no changes to the Reporting Subcommittee membership. Cheis Garrus will be added to the Funding Subcommittee. No future meetings at this point.
7. Public Comment (10 Minutes)
Members of the public were content with the progress being made.
8. Open Session for Topics Not Reasonably Anticipated Within 48 Hours of the Meeting
9. Optional: Documentary "Circle Up" by Director Julie Mallozz
All members watched the short version of the documentary. A link was provided to watch the full documentary.
Scott Taberner made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 12:10 p.m. Senator James Eldridge seconded the motion. It carried unanimously. Meeting adjourned.
- Call to Order
- Review/Approval of Meeting Minutes from November 12, 2019
- Update from EOPSS Chair and Review/Approval of Meeting Minutes from the Funding Subcommittee held on November 7, 2019
- Update from EOPSS Chair and Review/Approval of Meeting Minutes from the Reporting Subcommittee held on November 7, 2019
- Determine Future Subcommittees
- Public Comment (10 minutes)
- Open Session for Topics not Reasonably Anticipated within 48 Hours of the Meeting
- Optional: Documentary Film "Circle Up" by Director Julie Mallozz